cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Marine Corps veterans organisations might help. They're bound to have an Iwo reunion list.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
There is an engraving on the inside of the ring with what looks to be a last name with an ID number and a city in Ohio. How would I go about getting this ring back to its owner?

I returned a bracelet tag from 1953 finding the owner using Google. Actually, my hunting buddy found the family first

Make sure you keep us up to date on your attempt to return. Returning a ring to an Iwo Jima veteran, or his family (who will cherish it), is the right thing to do. Document it all for us, pictures are very nice. I'll be the first to vote Honorable Mention if this happens, and is documented.

TommyB

Jul 24, 2013
OC, Calif
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Surf PI & Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
The 'standard' USMC ring has Tun's Tavern on one side and the Marines raising the flag at Iwo Jima on the other. Does not mean the owner is a vet from Iwo Jima.
Tun's Tavern is where the Marine Corps was formed prior to the revolutionary war on Nov 10th, 1774. Try posting on Craigslist or some other local rag in the lost / found section. Probably lost by a local.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you google Commandant of the marine corps, you should get a hit for the CMC web site, there was a lookup for service numbers. I haven't used it in years so it might have been cut along with the budgets, but it's worth a try! Sounds like one of the rings we could buy at graduation.

check the number again. is it ***-**-**** or just numbers? I believe it was late 60s early 70s the Corps dropped issuing service numbers & started using your social security numbers. Hope that gives you a few ideas!

TommyB

Jul 24, 2013
OC, Calif
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Surf PI & Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I believe the move to SSN# from a service number was in 1972. I got a Service number in Dec 1971. If my memory serves me, I think that all changed in '72

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread