Found while metal detecting the beach in Massachusetts. Is it a NA fish decoy?

casarachi

Jul 28, 2013
northeast USA
Detector(s) used
Whites Surf PI & Eagle Spectrum, Garrett Master Hunter, Master Hunter II & CXIII. Fisher 1265X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello, I really could use some assistance figuring out exactly what this is. :BangHead: There was a cut in the beach and it was much lower than normal in this one spot which actually revealed an 18th century shipwreck. It was a very faint whisper in my Whites Surf PI. I almost threw it in the trash until I washed it off and saw the square hole and "fish" shape. My first instinct was fishing lure but I can't find one like this and then found out about fish decoy's. And the only fish decoy I could find that looked a little like this one were Native American, hence why I am posting here. There is a metal piece in the hole, looks like a loop screw? Lead? Must be hand carved with the addition of the square hole and whatever it is inside. Many thanks!:happysmiley:

Upvote 0

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You don't want that rock you should send it to me instead. ;)

Well I just read where you said there was metal in the hole. So not sure

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

casarachi

Jul 28, 2013
northeast USA
Detector(s) used
Whites Surf PI & Eagle Spectrum, Garrett Master Hunter, Master Hunter II & CXIII. Fisher 1265X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You don't want that rock you should send it to me instead. ;)

Well I just read where you said there was metal in the hole. So not sure

Oh Geez, I forgot to mention, it's wood. Sorry about that. & Thanks!

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It will be very hard to identify being so worn by water. I doubt a decoy though. The wood appears to be worn like a cedar or evergreen would.A soft wood. Possibly from an old fish trap or fish buoy? Here I have found remnants of a native fishing weir.
Did you try it in the "What is it" section?

OP
OP
C

casarachi

Jul 28, 2013
northeast USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It will be very hard to identify being so worn by water. I doubt a decoy though. The wood appears to be worn like a cedar or evergreen would.A soft wood. Possibly from an old fish trap or fish buoy? Here I have found remnants of a native fishing weir.
Did you try it in the "What is it" section?

Hi, thanks. I actually think it's a hardwood like oak or something. It was found deep in the muck, under the marl, actually under two layers of rock. Ok, I'll look for that section. I appreciate the help.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

casarachi

Jul 28, 2013
northeast USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, so I put it in the WHAT IS IT blog and so far just one person said it reminded him of a rudder but not by any means definitive. I did some research and came up with the square hole with round hook screw indicative of a fishing lure and fish decoy. The placement of the hole on the "forehead" of the fish. The reason I really want to know is I was told that I was ridiculous by an association that carves decoy's. The reason I thought native american was I found decoy's dating to 1000 years ago made out of shells, in which were later, (mid 1700's) said to be carved out of wood. There also seems to be a thing going on where the ones who use lure's don't want to give credit to the ones who invented decoy's. Decoy's are an older form of "lure". Apparently the invention is attibuted by a company that made lures in the early 1900's. So I think the thought of something that exists older than when someone else is said to have created it is sort of a conflict.... Ok, since no one can say for certain what this is... could you at least confirm that it is impossible to be a fish decoy. Thanks!

oh...I have looked at all kinds of "Rudders" and though I did see one rudder that was "remotely" similar in part of it's shape, it was not even close as to the mechanism and how it would attach and be put to use.

here is the mention I found online about fish decoy's and Native Americans. Note the shape of the fin on the "muscle shell" that was "later carved out of wood".

This is the page I got the info above. For some reason it's now under construction?
http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...ngandFishDecoys.htm+&cd=6&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

Even if this is not as old as one may think because of how/where it was found, it still could have been made by a later generation of NA no? Those types of skills are passed on through the generations. And I read during the Great Depression, Spear fishing was popular by those who were struggling for food. At the same time, if the wood of a shipwreck could exist from the 1700's in the water, why not a wooden tool?

Ok, sorry to ramble, just looking for a clue.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread