Found yet another button

NJ Garrett

Apr 7, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi everyone!

Yes, it's me again. I've been hunting a property that's been in my family since 1902, but dates back to the 1700's. I haven't found many old coins, but I have found quite a number of buttons.

Today I found another button (lol). This one was about 3 inches down and was in quite good condition when I dug it up. The front doesn't look like it has any discernable picture on it, aside from an engraved ring around the outside. The back, however, has more designs and even lettering!

It's really hard for me to make out, so I'm hoping that someone may have come across a similar button. If I look at it, it looks like it says "CODOUR" around the bottom edge. The top writing was just impossible for me to make out.:dontknow::dontknow:

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

P1010453.JPG P1010452.JPG

Upvote 1

HutSiteDigger

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2012
Stafford,Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266x and a shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is saying "Colour" which is the British way of spelling Colour.. The button dates sometime from the 1790s-1830s..

ATpro5

Jan 4, 2013
SW Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster,At Pro,Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your Probably Reading 'colour' . Many Of These Early 1800S Flat Buttons Have Backmarks Like Orange Colour,Rich Colour,etc.

TNGUNS

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
Evensville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900, Fisher 1266x, Tesoro Eldorado, Tesoro Silver Sabre, Whites Eagle Spectrum, Teknetics G2, Teknetics T2, Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NJ Garrett, you found a relic that is approximately two hundred years old. That is pretty neat when ya think about it. Got two flats today myself. When you are in a site producing finds that old you never know what the next target may be. :icon_thumleft:

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice! And there's more there, HH!

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
An early 1800's button is a great find. :thumbsup:
Congrats to you,
MM

OP
OP
N

NJ Garrett

Apr 7, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks so much, everyone! I will keep on searching! My parents are selling the property in March of next year, so the clock is ticking......

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks so much, everyone! I will keep on searching! My parents are selling the property in March of next year, so the clock is ticking......

I'd recommend getting in good with the people buying the property. Then, maybe, you can keep hunting and if they develop some of it, maybe be able to get some help in the digging. ;)

Nice save!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread