Four arrowheads found at new home site!

Nick22t

Mar 23, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All four arrowheads were found within a 250’ radius! They’re similar in design which leads me to think they’re all from the same tribe/era. These came from a development in Union Mills, Nc. We have found several over the years in this development and all of them have been white quarts. Today though I found my first ever arrowhead that isn’t white quarts. I’m not sure what type of material it is but it’s a rough, glittery almost granite type stone. Anyone here have any insight as to what era and maybe what type of stone this new one is? AFFCFF58-099B-46F6-B12D-79989ED5C621.jpeg 8D1D91D3-C52B-46D5-AD32-85C8EC3D6D44.jpeg 46D06620-32CB-48A5-B0CB-8F48EC5D938E.jpeg

Upvote 0

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My first impression was hematite but I don’t know if that’s any good for points, I basically no experience with rhyolite though so t-dog is probably right

MAMucker

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2019
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
Other
I agree that all of them are Morrow Mountain possible type II. They are a common type in your region and found all along the Atlantic coastal states. These resemble a Point we find up in New England called a Stark, which is assumed to be related and are dated in the same late archaic time period.
Nice finds!

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They nailed the typology. Those points were killers.
(by PA Cridlebaugh · 1977 · Cited by 1 — Figure 2 Morrow Mountain Sites Located in the Southeast. A-Coastal Plain Province ... Eight points were associated with the burial; two were firmly embedded in the vertebral cavity ..)

The Morrow Mountain point dates between 4,000 BC to 4,500 BC, which places it in the middle of the archaic period. Other artifacts that may be associated with this type of spear are full groove axes, soapstone bowls, atlatl weights (bannerstones), mortars, pestles, and other implements.
I find it to always be a most interesting stone weapon/Knife/point.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread