Four coppers, two Spanish silvers, keg spigot cap and key, buttons and more!

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Saturday I got out with my brother who was visiting from Colorado, and my sister who was visiting from Virginia. We went to the same place I found the two coppers and the half real last week. About half way through the hunt I had a tombac button, a worn half real, a nice keg spigot cap with a triangular key opening, and a pewter item that resembles a bugle or trumpet mouth piece (need some help with this UFO). About this time I went to check on my brother and sister who had went through a tree line into an adjacent field that has produced a lot of coins and relics in the past, but had been hunted hard and wasn’t really producing anymore. When I came through the trees, my brother had already dug a copper and a keg spigot key. While I was helping my sister dig a railroad spike, he dug another copper. I walked over to check it out, swinging my detector. He said “hey, you’re in my line”. I asked him which way he was going and he said “back & forth, working up hill”. So I told him that I would work below him. He said “I already hunted that”. I smiled and said “that’s OK”. I knew the area he said he found the two coppers was an area that had not been hunted hard. It was in the lower corner of the field and away from the other relic concentrations. I thought I would hunker down in this small 15 x 15 yard area and see if he missed anything. In the next hour I was able to find two .69 caliber musket balls, two coppers, three buttons (including a fancy silver plated one), a “Tallio” cuff link with a running fox, a reins guide, and a half real that had been cut in half and folded over like a taco. I was able to straighten it out. We ended up with four coppers – 1802, 1810, and 1820 large cents plus a New Jersey copper. As usual the coppers from this field are toast. These are actually better than most, if you can believe this. I dug the two pieces of Spanish silver – both of them are pretty rough too. All in all it was a fun day digging with my brother and sister.

Attachments

• Copper in Dirt 1.jpg
    Copper in Dirt 1.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 138
  • Copper in Dirt.jpg
    Copper in Dirt.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 142
  • Half Real in dirt.jpg
    Half Real in dirt.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 134
  • All dirty.JPG
    All dirty.JPG
    81.5 KB · Views: 150
  • All clean 1.JPG
    All clean 1.JPG
    133.8 KB · Views: 162
  • Spanish Silver.JPG
    Spanish Silver.JPG
    114 KB · Views: 146
  • Silver button.JPG
    Silver button.JPG
    120.2 KB · Views: 153
  • NJ Copper.JPG
    NJ Copper.JPG
    105 KB · Views: 151
  • Coppers b.JPG
    Coppers b.JPG
    124.3 KB · Views: 160
  • Coppers f.JPG
    Coppers f.JPG
    121.9 KB · Views: 170
  • Spanish on Spanish.JPG
    Spanish on Spanish.JPG
    108.7 KB · Views: 132
  • Spigot Cap.JPG
    Spigot Cap.JPG
    74.4 KB · Views: 133
  • IFO side.JPG
    IFO side.JPG
    34.1 KB · Views: 117
  • IFO base.JPG
    IFO base.JPG
    31.8 KB · Views: 123
  • IFO end.JPG
    IFO end.JPG
    25.2 KB · Views: 122
Upvote 9

mattysee

Jul 9, 2011
albany ny
Detector(s) used
garrett at pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didn't know you can call or claim a detecting line......lol

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Steve, you are tearing it up. My first thought was bugle mouthpiece but Buckleboy can verify. I really like those buttons. You need to have surgery more often-LOL. WTG, Q.

metalev4

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2006
Nice digs Steve, You are off to an epic start, I hope it continues.
-Evan

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Steve,
I can't even imagine having a hunt that good. FANTASTIC day and outstanding finds. :notworthy:
I have to ask....Did Sis find anything other than that RR spike? :laughing7: I sure hope so.
Great post,
MM

jodee89

May 26, 2013
derry, pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter sharp shooter ultra mag
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great finds as always Steve. I do believe its a trumpet mouth piece. I dug one similar to yours just this past weekend.

ForumRunner_20131007_213839.png

ForumRunner_20131007_213858.png

I'd love to discover some good sites like yours. I've been jonesin for another LC or reale. Congrats on the great finds.

detroitdigger

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett gtax 1000,Garrett ace 250, Technetics delta
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Totally cool finds, the coppers are awesome, as w/ the Spanish silver. HH

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Killer relics and some GREAT coins! Yes, that looks like a trumpet/bugle mouthpiece to me.

Congrats,

Buck

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice going on the coppers and the very nice looking button, the keys are a great dig always.

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found several of those spigot keys. Now I know what they are! Awesome. Hogge

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jeez Steve I'll take one of those hunts , talk about variety .relics , coppers db classic , jerseystate , silver espanyolas

what a slam ! YES ,, you sure as s#!t did some damage to that field

:headbang: dawg

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man you guys killed it Steve! That's a bunch of fine relics and coins. You've got a great start to the year and are blowing me away on colonial silver (which isn't hard to do since I haven't dug any!). I know you'll be going back to that site soon as there has to be more.

Bill, I have only dug 3 Spanish silvers this year, but they were all dug in the last two weeks! I think you are just giving me a head start before you blow by me! I am now up to 58 Spanish silvers on my career, but I doubt I'll live long enough to pass 100!

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds as always Steve. I do believe its a trumpet mouth piece. I dug one similar to yours just this past weekend.

View attachment 877498

View attachment 877499

I'd love to discover some good sites like yours. I've been jonesin for another LC or reale. Congrats on the great finds.

That is a nice one. I'm gonna have to coat mine to preserve it. I think you are on a good site based on what I've seen, and I think there is a lot more there that you will find once you master your machine.

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Steve - I must have missed that barrel tap key earlier. I found a similar one last year, and its one of my favorite brass relics. And I've never dug one of those spigot caps. That's a cool find too!

View attachment 877285

View attachment 877287

View attachment 877289

Whoa! That is a sweet barrel tap and key. There would have been a cap similar to mine with the triangle cut out. I have dug 6 or 7 of those caps now in various sizes. All the others were cut to fit the type of key my brother found the other day.

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Steve,
I can't even imagine having a hunt that good. FANTASTIC day and outstanding finds. :notworthy:
I have to ask....Did Sis find anything other than that RR spike? :laughing7: I sure hope so.
Great post,
MM

MM, My sister found the two smallest buttons in the picture. She was using a Garrett AT Gold. She spent a lot of time hunting areas that never produced any relics in the past.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions