Four rolls yield a Ben >> 2007/02/07

Cerulean

Dec 1, 2006
Washington, DC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My wife had to visit Bank of America, and of course I was thinking of asking for halves. But then I noticed a Burke & Herbert branch across the street. It's parking lot was empty, a far cry from the teeming pavement for BoA. Leaving my wife behind to take care of her transactions, I walked over the B&H. The place was deserted, no other customers to be seen. I asked the teller "Hello. I'd like to know if you have any half dollars in stock." She replied "I'll page the vault manager," who came by a few minutes later. He told me there were 5 rolls in the vault. "Great! I'll take four of them," I replied.

The vault manager then started to unroll the halves and count them for me. I dreaded that he was looking for silver too. With the legitimate excuse that my wife would be done across the street at BoA, I told him that I'll trust the count, and that I'd best be on my way to pick up my wife. With weighted pockets, I walked across the street just a minute before she was ready to go.

We took them home and left the rolls, hand-wrapped in brown wrappers, percolate on the coffee table while we had a snack. They say leaving rolls to sit for a while turns clad into silver. My wife and I took turns opening rolls, and 3 40% JFKs show up. She opens up the last roll, and the first half on the stack is a 1963-D Ben! She was thrilled, since her goal for half searching was to find her favorite founding father in silver. This was also my first 90% silver half. Yay, four keepers out of $40... I'll definitely go back for that last roll!

Total Keepers: 1963-D, 1967-P x2, and 1968-D

The pic below shows Ben in the lower left, the 40%'ers along the bottom row, and the remaining clad in the background.

coinfinds20070207.jpg

Upvote 0

thurmownator

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats of your first 90%er; and a Franklin to boot.

Good luck with that fifth roll.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread