Moonlight and Magnolias
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,

Got out with Shangderthal for a three day dig. Work schedules had beaten us down until we just said screw it and took time off. Glad we did! Enjoy the video!

First off I'd be remiss if I didn't mention that Shangison dug a Seated on a solo hunt right before our three day adventure. This Seated was shy and didn't hold still for its photo to be taken, and that's why it's blurry :D 1854-O Half Dime.

IMG_2432.JPG IMG_2433.JPG

My prelude to the three day dig was going out in the field (breaking my rule about bringing a backup detector always) and finding out that my F75 wouldn't ground balance and was going haywire! :BangHead: So that day I did nothing but eyeball, since I was too far away from home and didn't want it to be a wasted trip. Was upset that the detector broke--furious! The old Fisher 1266-X I own has never had a problem since it was purchased in 1991. This F75 hasn't lasted 5 years. >:( So I'm using my wife's detector right now and the F75 is at First TX and useless.

I did find a few things though--including this nice cobalt blue laudanum bottle and the neat red glass "paste jewel"

IMG_3495portrait.jpg IMG_3496.JPG IMG_0823.JPG

Anyhow, back to our three day marathon dig... :)

Things started off slowly on day 1 with flat buttons, musketballs, and Shang got a nice intact jew's harp. :thumbsup: Eventually eyeballed a a "Russian Blue" trade bead--his first one ever.

5.JPG

Then he dug an anchor button which is either an early Navy button or a Jacksonian Button. He also dug a nice decorative civilian "flower button."

1.JPG 2.JPG

I was lucky enough to dig a couple of pocket watch winders. The spade shaped one appears to have a man's bust on it and two crossed flags on one side.

IMG_0817.JPG IMG_0818.JPG

IMG_0819.JPG IMG_0820.JPG

I also dug this whatzit. It says E. COUDRAY A PARIS on both sides, and it appears to be something to do with an antebellum perfume bottle (lead seal of some sort--were perfume bottles sealed??).

IMG_0821.JPG IMG_0822.JPG

I also dug this interesting pewter piece that appears to be a bird's nest full of eggs. No clue what this is either! Help is appreciated!

IMG_0828.JPG

We dug a lot of targets on Day 1, but it was slow and gradual--button here, musketball there, brass or lead... When day 2 started it was my turn to find a trade bead. :headbang:

IMG_0824.JPG

Then out of the blue I dug a BEAUTIFUL 1840-O half dime!

212_1346.JPG

Would be super nice to find the rare variety of this year and mintmark sometime (1840-O w/drapery)--especially if it were in this condition!

hdportrait.jpg hd3portrait.jpg

Then toward the end of the day, I dug a worn half real--1782!!

212_1351.JPG

I took no more than 15 steps--and lo and behold I dug another one, right in a pile of fire ants!! The second one was worn smooth, but colonial silver is colonial silver! (sorry, no photo of it in the dirt--the ants were all over me!)

Between picking up around 100 clay pipe stem fragments, I eyeballed my first Native American artifact ever found in Louisiana. (There isn't workable stone down here--just lots of silt and mud--so the native peoples must have traded for stone to make tools, and the stone must have come from a long distance away). This appears to be a hafted tool or point of some sort!

IMG_0837.JPG

Day 3 started well before dawn and by 5:45am we were in the field. I literally got out of the truck, turned on my detector, took three steps, and flopped out a Spanish Silver! :headbang: ANOTHER 1782!!

IMG_3512portrait.jpg

That's a way to start a morning! As we say down here, anything else I could dig the whole day would be lagniappe!! :D

Things got pretty normal after that... flat button...musketball... the usual.

Then I dug a three piece button that I thought might be a Jacksonian button--BUT I strongly suspected it was a Henry Clay campaign button!

IMG_3516portrait.jpg

My hunch was right! It was my SECOND Henry Clay button from the 1844 presidential election (dug my first one three years ago).

Then right at the closing bell, Shanguloid flopped out a Spanish silver of his own!! 1807 Half Real!

IMG_3519portait.jpg

Was quite a hunt--and the finds filled up nearly an entire case each!

IMG_0829.JPG IMG_0830.JPG

IMG_0833.JPG IMG_0834.JPG

IMG_0826.JPG IMG_0827.JPG

HR 1808.JPG HR 1808a.JPG

IMG_0825.JPG

IMG_0831.JPG IMG_0832.JPG

**MORE PHOTOS IN FIRST REPLY BELOW**

Last edited:
Upvote 43
OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm in Canada, north of North Dakota. Population was and still is very sparse. People around here in that era were generally not rich, although I have found a lot of silver. Canadian large cents were produced from 1858-1920, but I just don't find many. I find an even mix of US/Canadian coins except when it comes to the older 1 cent coins, they are almost always Indian Heads or old Wheaties.

Sounds like the isolation is a factor. I bet there was a lot of barter and trade going on there in the 19th c. and earlier.

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for your kind words, Tom! Best wishes to you ad your continued success my friend.

Congrats on another superb post and awesome set of finds.

You and Shangatron find the best stuff. Spanish, Henry Clay, seated and a hand full of marbles!

Best of luck to you both and thanks for giving me a glimpse into how the big league plays.

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for that link! The edge is definitely worked. I'd be happy to post a close up if that would give you more ideas. Have never found one in a field here, but no point in looking for flint in South Louisiana--we just don't have any! So perhaps my eyes weren't in tune to exactly what type of stone I needed to look for in the fields.

The arrowhead....that might be a spectacular find if it's in fact an arrowhead. I can't see any flaking in the image but it sure looks a lot like what's in the attached link? Scroll down to see image, material looks pretty much the same as well. 10,500 years old?!

Hardaway Blade Projectile Point

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it weren't for the heat, this place would be a digger's promised land. I remember wishing they'd just turn the darned soil up in the North. When I lived in KY, we were very lucky if we got to dig a tobacco patch (they still plow for that crop)

Awesome hunt and finds. 90 degrees is a bit much for me. 70 and humid gives me a heatstroke so my season is usually done in April.

Unless it's a harvested peanut field we never see bare ground and I'm super jealous. I love to eyeball pipe stems and arrowheads but it's rare I get to do anything that.

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One of the best relic machines ever made.

I thought I'd never go toward an ID machine--but I'll be very honest, after digging with the F75 I will never go back again. World of difference, deeper, more information about the targets... and the biggest difference--Ground Balance! That alone is huge.

I bought my 1266X in 1991 also... I bought a new coil for it a couple of years ago and I couldn't believe what a difference it made... It was so hot I had to learn how to use it all over again! I love it! I like your posts cause the photos are so clear.

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I told the OrangaShang that you said he did good. :D

Well, my F75 has been at First TX since Wednesday last week and I have not been contacted by them. Hope they can turn it around quickly, because I've got digging to do!

Great stuff guys. You boys never disappoint. Bummer about the machine. That really sucks. But trust me....First Texas will take great care of you and be quick. Tell Shangopotomus great job!!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread