Fourthlings

robfinds

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2007
Yorkshire England
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Goldmax
Went back to the late Saxon/ Norman market site this afternoon. As I've mentioned before, signals on this well worked site are few, and far between now. It's a site where you simply just wander very slowly, and the rare signals, actually make you jump. Pleased with the results today, two tiny hammered silver cut quarters. These coins were cut into quarters, to make them farthings, worth one quarter of a penny, from the old English fourthling. The one on the left looks I think Scottish, the one on the right, I am fairly sure is English Henry I, 1100-35 cross fleury type. The coinage of Henry I tended to be of very poor quality. In 1124 Henry came up with a solution to this. All of the moneyer's found guilty of producing poor coinage, were arrested, and had their right hands cut off, and for good measure were also castrated ( medieval incentive bonus ). I will send some pictures to the Fitzwilliam museum to record the Henry I in the week, hopefully they can give some info on it, mint or moneyer. Robert.

Attachments

• IMG_9266.JPG
    IMG_9266.JPG
    342 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_9267.JPG
    IMG_9267.JPG
    346.9 KB · Views: 105
Upvote 18

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bet that worked well for Henry....and would work still today. :laughing7:

Oh, and great finds! You swing the coil slow and low!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Awesome recoveries! :notworthy:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Your on your game Rob, getting those cut quarters are no small feat. Congrats on the two, smashing day in my books.

joe_dirt

Jan 15, 2013
Southeast Virginia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2, Makro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Went back to the late Saxon/ Norman market site this afternoon. As I've mentioned before, signals on this well worked site are few, and far between now. It's a site where you simply just wander very slowly, and the rare signals, actually make you jump. Pleased with the results today, two tiny hammered silver cut quarters. These coins were cut into quarters, to make them farthings, worth one quarter of a penny, from the old English fourthling. The one on the left looks I think Scottish, the one on the right, I am fairly sure is English Henry I, 1100-35 cross fleury type. The coinage of Henry I tended to be of very poor quality. In 1124 Henry came up with a solution to this. All of the moneyer's found guilty of producing poor coinage, were arrested, and had their right hands cut off, and for good measure were also castrated ( medieval incentive bonus ). I will send some pictures to the Fitzwilliam museum to record the Henry I in the week, hopefully they can give some info on it, mint or moneyer. Robert.
So they would then have to make coins with their left hand? Not sure how that would improve the quality

OP
OP
robfinds

robfinds

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2007
Yorkshire England
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Goldmax
So they would then have to make coins with their left hand? Not sure how that would improve the quality
Hello joe, the moneyers were the ones who had minting rights. They were always upper class, and didn't actually do any work, but got all the profits. Even then they were greedy, and many produced coins with less silver in them, then there should have been. Getting back to you're original point though, some could have been left handed. As for being castrated.:laughing7:

TomW244

Sep 2, 2017
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pinpointer, Bounty Hunter Gold Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello joe, the moneyers were the ones who had minting rights. They were always upper class, and didn't actually do any work, but got all the profits. Even then they were greedy, and many produced coins with less silver in them, then there should have been. Getting back to you're original point though, some could have been left handed. As for being castrated.:laughing7:

LOL! Hard to bounce back from THAT! ��

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Incredible to to find something that old. Great work on those recoveries!

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome finds, Rob...I'll slobber all over yours seeing I'll never dig anything like that in my neck of the neighborhood...Not only great finds but great story...thx for sharing, Ddf.

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Excellent early cut silver Rob. I’m sure they weren’t easy to hear. Cheers

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on those.

Evidence now shows that the 'purge of moneyers' during Henry I (some were killed) actually included those that produced good quality coins. The motivation behind this purge is not as clear as they once thought.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread