FoxHound Scores a Civil War General Staff Officers Button at a Hunted Out Site!!

FoxHound0985

Feb 5, 2005
Amber Waves of Grain!
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max/AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello all,

The Weather today for S. Indiana was 64 degrees and sunny so I thought I would take full advantage of it! I went out to a site that we (The Iron Brigade) have hunted to death in the past couple of months. Last time we were there I found two coins that were hiding in the wood line. This time I was surprised to find so many brass items that we looked over somehow. I found two flat buttons, two spoons, a heel tap with the date 1855 on it, a suspender clip and this really COOL Federal Staff Officers Button!! It's my first one! It has the Spread Winged Eagle with 24 stars surrounding it. The back is long gone, so there is no back mark. This was found at the same site that BuckleBoy found that KILLER 1850s Militia Belt Plate. We might be heading back out there tomorrow to hopefully find some more goodies! Thanks for looking and HH!

Fox

Attachments

• button.jpg
    button.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 884
  • finds1.jpg
    finds1.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 861
  • suspender.jpg
    suspender.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 856
Upvote 0

DebbzInNC

Feb 23, 2008
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Re: FoxHound Scores a Federal Staff Officers Button at a "Hunted Out" Site!!

I don't know anything about buttons, but that one is sweeeet!
Congrats!

LI Tom

Bronze Member
Oct 19, 2006

Very nice button,any idea on the age?

DIRTQUEEN

Greenie
Feb 27, 2008

Great find...do you ever hunt over the bridge in KY?

OP
OP
FoxHound0985

FoxHound0985

Feb 5, 2005
Amber Waves of Grain!
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max/AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

DIRTQUEEN said:
Great find...do you ever hunt over the bridge in KY?

DQ, I have only hunted over in KY once and that was at a CW site south of Louisville. I would like to hunt over there more often, but I don't know of any good sites. Do you live close to Louisville? Take care and HH!

Fox

dcooper1

Oct 23, 2005
Northern Virginia
Detector(s) used
New Excalibur II, DFX w 12" Super and stock coil, XLT with stock coil, 14" & 6" coils
Great finds in a pounded site.

NO SITE IS EVER HUNTED OUT!!!!

Elvis

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2007
Lafayette, Georgia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro and Nokta Simplex+
Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice button, congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!!

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: FoxHound Scores a Civil War General Staff Officers Button at a Hunted Out Si

Elvis said:
Nice button, congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Elvis took the words right out of my mouth!! :D :D One heck of a button find...Congrats!

;) RR

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That button is in really good shape Fox....Killer find!!!

kindafoundabuckle

Dec 9, 2006
In bed at the moment
Detector(s) used
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would say the reason you did not find it in the past hunts is that you most likely did swing the coil over it more than once but you had your disc set to high to pick up a button. All the CW buttons I found in the past 15 years have read on the VDI scale AT LEAST 20-30 numbers lower than a memorial cent registers. Buttons are like rings. To find the rings you must dig the pulltabs. To find the buttons you must dig the shotgun shells and all other targets in that range. Take this advice my young Jedi and someday you will be in touch with the force.

Yoda

Newt

Bronze Member
Dec 10, 2007
Georgia
Detector(s) used
1265X and Tejon
kindafoundabuckle said:
I would say the reason you did not find it in the past hunts is that you most likely did swing the coil over it more than once but you had your disc set to high to pick up a button. All the CW buttons I found in the past 15 years have read on the VDI scale AT LEAST 20-30 numbers lower than a memorial cent registers. Buttons are like rings. To find the rings you must dig the pulltabs. To find the buttons you must dig the shotgun shells and all other targets in that range. Take this advice my young Jedi and someday you will be in touch with the force.

Yoda

Sometimes you pass up the good stuff looking for specifics (and you lose depth). I agree 100%. I'd rather dig it all than rely on some display screen any day.
Newt

Baldingboy

Bronze Member
May 17, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Professional with 6" Coil
I would venture to say the reason you were hitting brass signals today had something to do with the ground conditions and weather.....and of course your detectors response to them. I have noticed at my re-hunted sites that a particular metal seems to dominate on certain days. Great day...to say the least. Congratulations!!!!

Baldingboy

Admiral de Salee

Apr 2, 2007
Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's V3i w. D2 or Super12
White's DFX w. D2 or 5.3
Sunray DX-1, Lesche Digger
kindafoundabuckle said:
I would say the reason you did not find it in the past hunts is that you most likely did swing the coil over it more than once but you had your disc set to high to pick up a button. All the CW buttons I found in the past 15 years have read on the VDI scale AT LEAST 20-30 numbers lower than a memorial cent registers.

My one and only CW "I" button read about 54-58, if I remember correctly. I was hoping for an I.H. but was okay with what it turned out to be.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread