Frankford Arsenal M2 .30 bullet (rare?)

COUNTRY GIRL

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2006
WESTERN MASS
I planned on hitting the fields yesterday for a few hours, but it was not to be. The Hubby seemed to want some company for the day so I hunted around the house (built in 1870) hoping to pop out some more history from the place. Actually it was fun having someone to share the What is it's with, I think the Hubby enjoyed looking at my Junque too. We both came up with the spoon ID together. :)

This unusual shaped bullet was at first a mystery, no one had ever seen one like it. So off to do some searching. The only bullets I can find with the FA 42 on them are all M2 made by Frankford Arsenal. They state it is a rare WW2 bullet in either case, so is it a Tracer or the high-volcity anti-tank cartridge? :icon_scratch: It still has the blunt steel slug inside which makes it an interesting piece. The BIG question is what was it doing in my yard? :icon_scratch:

The tiny silver piece I at first thought was a pendant from a necklace. After a closer look it turns out to be a little salt spoon pin, I did get it straighted out some. Wish it was in better shape but silver is silver right?

Bunch of other "stuff"! I'm not sure if the round piece with the holes is from a faucet or not. The nut looking item has no threads, so a spacer of sorts? I was told the round piece with all the pointy ends is a star lock washer? Never saw one before so I'll take his word for it. :wink:

I almost forgot about the jaw bone I dug with the teeth still in it YUCK! :D

So as not to dissapoint anyone, I have included "most" not all of the nails I dug. :D

Attachments

• yard hunt1.jpg
    yard hunt1.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 336
  • yard hunt2.jpg
    yard hunt2.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 330
  • yard hunt3.jpg
    yard hunt3.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 340
  • yard hunt 4.jpg
    yard hunt 4.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 348
  • yard hunt 5.jpg
    yard hunt 5.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 313
  • yard hunt6.jpg
    yard hunt6.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 325
  • yard hunt 7.jpg
    yard hunt 7.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 309
Upvote 0

La Beep

Feb 15, 2008
NE Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum, XLT Fisher's CZ5 Garretts GTA 1000
Yep Dummy/Training

Attachments

• cal-30-1.gif
    cal-30-1.gif
    45.8 KB · Views: 6,597
OP
OP
COUNTRY GIRL

COUNTRY GIRL

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2006
WESTERN MASS
Catfish, That's right .30-06.

So Labeep & Catfish, what determines it's a Dummy round? Is it the lead slug still there? Could it be just unfired? I like the history behind the finds as much as finding them. So tell me more? :)

STH69

Bronze Member
Feb 17, 2009
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter, ACE 250 with 9X12 coil
cool relics and shell

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread