Fred Hurt leaves Gold Rush

Ordell

Feb 8, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fred Hurt leaves 'Gold Rush'

From his Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/DakotaFred

Why we are not on "Gold Rush" this fall........this may be news to many.....
.I am not rich.....I am a working class guy like most of you. After spending more for four years straight than I made, there was no way for me to continue.
But the main reason is simple......and I quote...."If you want a Miner, call me.......if you want an Actor, pay me like one."
Dustin and I were "hard to work with". Interpretation ?......we did not go along with every cocamainy idea the film people dreamed up......
Corporate beancounters also wanted to consolidate their operation after a disastrous South American season. They also layed out mega millions to buy the company filming Gold Rush.
Sssssooo......as we were the 'Red Headed Stepchild', we were on our own.......
Hand me lemons.....I'll make lemonade.....
Freddie

---------
When someone asked about participants getting $22,000 per episode, Fred said maybe others.

5 members of my crew got $0 , only their share of gold produced. We were not compensated for any of our operating expenses as the Others were. My compensation per episode was a joke....less than a third of the Others. Bottom line.....I'm entertaining millions of people using my own resources ......and Discovery is pocketing all the profit....

Upvote 0

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Can't blame them one bit...doubt I would tolerate having
a camera stuck in my face while trying to work.

Last edited:

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
hope he takes hoffman with him

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
He signed a non-compete agreement when he started with DC. If it reads anything like the copy I have, he can't make any money off the his gold rush fame until two years after the show ends.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fred was a class act shoved into a clown operation. Glad he took off as that gold he got last season,at the end with his own op,was more than all the years with Slob Hoffman. Kudos you are free now fly and enjoy-tons a au 2 u 2-John

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Arizona - Is there any other state worth visiting
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Nokta FORS Gold, Garrett ATX, Sun Ray Gold Pro Headphones, Royal Pick, Etc.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If you all remember last year there was an email that floated around TNET forums and email boxes from the producers of Gold Rush, these two individuals live in London England and are the ones who says who's on the show and who's not on the show and who gets paid on the show, not Discovery Channel. Discovery provide the film crew and marketing to bring the show to viewers.

Toad Hoffman and crew knew nothing about mining if you go back the first episode. Gold Rush is based on rages to riches theme. When show did not produce the results that the producers were after the producers had no choice but to go after those that had more knowledge and access to better gold. Remember this is a reality show so what we all see may or may not have much truth in the gold they show. Who's to say Discovery is not buying gold to pad the outcome. Remember this is all about $$$ to be made by Discovery Channel by selling advertising. Without the gold the show gets pulled.

If anyone is being paid 22K per episode it would be Toad. Somehow this idiot managed to get investors to buy into his game and have lost millions, yet Discovery is the only real winner, those who provide all the gear and equipment are the losers. These producers take their idea and shop around for the best deal with the cable TV channels. So when all the contracts are written out Discovery Channel is the big winner.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Fred and Dustin are now working on a documentary. Based on a comment above, I imagine it'll be released just after their non-compete expires! Looking forward to it for sure, they seem to be the real deal.

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Nokta FORS Gold, Garrett ATX, Sun Ray Gold Pro Headphones, Royal Pick, Etc.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If Raw Productions had any balls they would keep these four men and build the show around them. Get rid of all others. Dave Turin, Fred Hunt, Fred Dodge, and Tony Beets. Allow these four select their crews, stop using footage from old shows as fillers in new shows, remove some of the drama. The first 15 minutes of a new show is usually what aired the week before. Tony Beets and Freddy Dodge do very well on their own and do not need Gold Rush, although they would bring credibility back to the show if allowed. You got to love Fred Hunt as he will fix anything and will not take any sh*t from anyone.

KiddoTheMiner

Jun 9, 2014
Forsyth county, GA
Detector(s) used
Jobe drop riffle sluice
Garrett gold pan
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If Raw Productions had any balls they would keep these four men and build the show around them. Get rid of all others. Dave Turin, Fred Hunt, Fred Dodge, and Tony Beets. Allow these four select their crews, stop using footage from old shows as fillers in new shows, remove some of the drama. The first 15 minutes of a new show is usually what aired the week before. Tony Beets and Freddy Dodge do very well on their own and do not need Gold Rush, although they would bring credibility back to the show if allowed. You got to love Fred Hunt as he will fix anything and will not take any sh*t from anyone.

I bet dave turin is just about done with todd's Sh*t he should take the good guys from the hoffman crew and start his own operation

jbarker52

May 19, 2010
I talked to the two guys who own new age mining co., they build the new age trommels in Texas and worked on the show last year with Fred's crew, actually with His Son up on the Mountain. They told me in April they were joining Fred and His Son this summer as well. I hope things work out for them as they invested a lot of their own money and time to get the trommel and other equipment to Alaska. Last year I taped the Gold Rush Show and fast forwarded thru the Hoffman soap opera and drama queen South America revue. It seemed to me the Hoffman's got so much money that they sleepwalked last year.

Last edited:

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
How many of you remember this showing up in emails, PM's, internet last year.

GR.jpg

Gemma and Rebecca
RAW TV, Producers of Gold Rush

Third Floor, 13 – 21 Curtain Road, London EC2A 3LT
UK Company Reg. 4305751
VAT: 788 4624 73

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Gold Rush Trivia: Remember last season when Todd pulled stakes and made a emergency trip home because of a family issue?
The issue was that his wife found out about his blossoming coke habit and told him to get treatment or she was dumping his ADHD ass and taking the kids to a better paystreak.

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hope you can back those words up, cause if its a false statement you are opening yourself up to a lawsuit.

Last edited:

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I got it first hand from a reliable source. In my opinion it's 100% true. Sorry If toad or you don't like that, I am not hard to find.

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Deep in the redwoods of the TRUE Northern CA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I got it first hand from a reliable source. In my opinion it's 100% true. Sorry If toad or you don't like that, I am not hard to find.

Sorry Bonaro, AzViper was only offering up some well deserved info.

hear·say
n.
1. Unverified information heard or received from another; rumor.
2. Law Evidence based on the reports of others rather than the personal knowledge of a witness and therefore generally not admissible as testimony.

No one here is saying you can't say or write anything you wish, just understand it could have consequences. Just ask Jesse Ventura.

Last edited:

silver821

May 29, 2013
glendale az
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Does anybody know if they are going to be looking for a coming seasons and if so what the process is for a spot?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread