sjvalleyhunter

Silver Member
May 5, 2014
Central California
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac and Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found this token today at one of the older parks in Fresno, CA. On the obverse it has, FRED. L. HAHN / 5, and it's blank on the reverse. It appears to be brass and is 25 millimeters in diameter. If anyone can find info on it I would appreciate it.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1453082801.403837.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1453082825.269490.jpg

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice older token! It is not listed on tokencatalog.com so I'd encourage you to post it there. The style is similar to ones made in the Chicago area ca. 1895-1910. Looking at various city directories, I find in the 1886, 88, 91, & 94 New York, NY City Directories a Fred L. Hahn - beer - 2229 1st Ave. Also in the 1878 Denver, CO CD is a Fred L. Hahn - Cigars & Tobacco - 248 15th (but to me this seems early for the die style). I haven't looked too closely at that particular diework, but will take a closer look at the ones pictured on tokencatalog to see if I can see a pattern that might substantiate the NYC attribution. People traveled and had tokens in their pockets when they left the location where they were good. When they got to their destination, about the only use they had for these "out of area" tokens is to give them to the kids to play with...
John in the Great 208

OP
OP
sjvalleyhunter

sjvalleyhunter

Silver Member
May 5, 2014
Central California
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac and Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice older token! It is not listed on tokencatalog.com so I'd encourage you to post it there. The style is similar to ones made in the Chicago area ca. 1895-1910. Looking at various city directories, I find in the 1886, 88, 91, & 94 New York, NY City Directories a Fred L. Hahn - beer - 2229 1st Ave. Also in the 1878 Denver, CO CD is a Fred L. Hahn - Cigars & Tobacco - 248 15th (but to me this seems early for the die style). I haven't looked too closely at that particular diework, but will take a closer look at the ones pictured on tokencatalog to see if I can see a pattern that might substantiate the NYC attribution. People traveled and had tokens in their pockets when they left the location where they were good. When they got to their destination, about the only use they had for these "out of area" tokens is to give them to the kids to play with...
John in the Great 208

Thank you for the research! I'll get it posted on tokencatalog soon.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread