Need help to ID this old token/coin marked J.V.S. Co. & 1 B. on one side a 1 other?

bigjaylow

Tenderfoot
Jan 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Need help to ID this old token/coin marked J.V.S. Co. & 1 B. on one side a 1 other?

Need help to ID this old token/coin marked J.V.S. Co. & 1 B. on one side a 1 other? I found a collection of buttons and some coins cannot find a picture of this anywhere......Everything is from the 1930's-------1970's.....nothing I found is a reproduction...

Attachments

• IMAG2789_1.jpg
    IMAG2789_1.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 70
  • IMAG2788_1.jpg
    IMAG2788_1.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 75

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
Looks to me like an eastern shore (Maryland area) canning/packing token. The 1 B. stands for one bushel, bucket, or barrel - probably a bucket as in oysters. The company was likely owned by somebody with initials J. V. S., but figuring out who and where that was is going to take some research. What part of the world did you get this in? Here's an article about the use of cannery tokens.
Cannery Tokens | Rare tokens found at Shore cannery were used to pay workers decades ago - tribunedigital-baltimoresun
John in the Great 208

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
I just heard back from the guy who is researching for a catalog of cannery tokens and he says it is from the John V. Sharp Canning Co. of Williamstown, NJ. He knows of another that has "Peeling / Check" on the reverse rather than the 1 yours has. From the location I'd say it was for a vegetable cannery. If you Google "john v. sharp canning" you will see a lot of mentions of the outfit ca. 1905. What is the diameter of the token? Would you be willing to post your pics on TokenCatalog.com ? Or, with your permission, I could do it.
John

OP
OP
B

bigjaylow

Tenderfoot
Jan 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sure you can post it I am from Blackwood the piece was from cherry hill area.....this info is great thanks for helping.

QUOTE=idahotokens;4826581]I just heard back from the guy who is researching for a catalog of cannery tokens and he says it is from the John V. Sharp Canning Co. of Williamstown, NJ. He knows of another that has "Peeling / Check" on the reverse rather than the 1 yours has. From the location I'd say it was for a vegetable cannery. If you Google "john v. sharp canning" you will see a lot of mentions of the outfit ca. 1905. What is the diameter of the token? Would you be willing to post your pics on TokenCatalog.com ? Or, with your permission, I could do it.
John[/QUOTE]

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
What is the diameter of the token? mm if you can, otherwise inches & fractions would be fine.
John

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread