Free Coinstar counting question

skelly9131

Jan 12, 2010
I've been using coinstar machines at my credit union for dumps because it offers free coin counting if the full amount is deposited. This got me wondering who is paying the fees from this activity? Is my CU still hit with the fee, or do they have some sort of arrangement with coinstar to void these fees? Can I expect to get a call some day from my CU stating that I can no longer use the free counting service because it's costing them too much?

I've only been doing this for a month, but I've already spread about $9K of dumps across several branches during that time. Does any else have any experience with this situation?

weighit

Feb 17, 2007
Northern Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX with a Big Foot coil
Gold Bug 2
The machine is not free, someone is paying the fees and if your not, the credit union is. When I was on the board of directors of a credit union we watched all the expenses and if something like one person was costing us a bit of money, we made the manager correct the situation. They are not expecting one person to overwhelm the system with the fees. I would expect if they are cost conscious at all, you will either be cut off, or made to pay for the service or possibly given a limit per month.

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can banks or CU's not purchase their own coin counters? Maybe some banks own their own counters and therefore there would be no fees involved for the bank/CU.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
ArkieBassMan said:
Can banks or CU's not purchase their own coin counters? Maybe some banks own their own counters and therefore there would be no fees involved for the bank/CU.

In which case they are responsible for the upkeep and maintenance. Just a business decision to have a third party responsible for the machine and to pay the fees.

obediah

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2009
Clarksville TN.
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Pro
My Bank Charges %10 to non customers, it is their machine they have a repair company that fixes it when it malfunctions.

ronbo22

Oct 31, 2008
Florida
Mt one dump bank has their own machine that not only counts them but produces their own rolls as well. I think it saves them money in the long run cuase they have no Brink's fees for coin.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread