Sep 6, 2008
Suffolk, VA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"very early navy button found"

Took a swing through the paths between the mounds of plastic and strawberries since the season is almost over and it's free picking.

I was hoping for a piece of jewelry, wishing for a gold ring, bracelet or necklace but my first two targets were IH pennies! Then I hit this early Navy button which was a nice surprise. 2 flatties, 2 Q, 1 P to round out the finds.

Can't wait till the fall when it is prepped for planting and detect the entire area! Thanks for looking!

Attachments

• IMG_0079 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_0079 (Medium).JPG
    71.6 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_0084 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_0084 (Medium).JPG
    79.8 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Great find Ina! I think that's a very early navy button you have there. May be US or British from the late 1700s but not sure. If you could post a pic of the back and give us the diameter in mm someone might be able to specifically ID it.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find Ina! I think that's a very early navy button you have there. May be US or British from the late 1700s but not sure. If you could post a pic of the back and give us the diameter in mm someone might be able to specifically ID it.

Yeap British circa 1790-1820.

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ina,
great button. Ina,
nice button gal! Your button is either a 1795-1812 British Officer's button (Commander, Captain or Lt) or a 1795-1812 Royal Navy Surgeon's button. I can't tell from your picture, but if there is a rope that runs from the eyelet and down the shaft it is the Officers, if there is no rope and simply a lined (ray bust style) field behind the anchor, than it is the Surgeon/physicians button.

Very nice find!

Dan

Giant056

Silver Member
Jun 10, 2007
Southwest Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Made in U.S.A.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice score on the old button :thumbsup: Congrats on the fatties too :D