Free Tumbler Tip

Foilman

Aug 17, 2006
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandito II uMax
I have been looking for a tumbler and can not seem to find one for less than 40 or fifty dollars. So what to do. Well I only had about 50 bucks worth of coins to clean so I thought why spend all my money on a tumbler. I am sure you guys have better ways lets here it, but here is what I did. Sorted out the crusties and put them aside. The ones that were dirty and to dark to identify I but in a plastic tray and put in 80% bleach and 20% water. Stirred for 5 to 10 minutes and rinse. Rub with towel and or scrubby pad. Some came up nice and some got discolored but most were wrapable and identifiable. I found that the crusties (mostly pennies ) it didn't work to well. But I found another way for them. Take a hand full for a ride in your pocket for 3-7 days. The grit ends up at the bottom and amazingly a lot of them come up nice . At least good enough to give to the convenience store or wherever you make a purchase. Thats my tip for somebody that doesn't have or want to buy a tumbler. Anybody find a better way?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
F

Foilman

Aug 17, 2006
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandito II uMax
Thanks MG,
That is the lowest I have seen $38. including shipping! if I don't find one at a flea market soon, That is probably where I go.

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Teknetics T2 & Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Foilman said:
Thanks MG,
That is the lowest I have seen $38. including shipping! if I don't find one at a flea market soon, That is probably where I go.

For what it's worth Foilman, I bought the dual one from them about 2 months ago - so far I'm satisfied with it. You get what you pay for, so I can tell it's not of the highest quality, but I've got it plugged into a timer and have used it about 4-7 times and it's done exactly what it's supposed to do. I'm a little worried about how long it will last and I HATE the way it smells (an overpowering rubber/tire odor to it), but for the price, as long as I take the best care of it that I can it should pay for itself.

I'll take a few pictures of it tonight and post them later so you can see more than you can from the catalog to make your judgement.

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
Foil,

if you do go with Harbor, make sure you pick
up a few of the replacement belts.

Think I put a few heavy loads on mine and
split a belt. Only cost a few bucks but I
did not buy them. Do not carry them in my
local store had to pay extra shipping to get
them.

Just a thought.

have a good un..........

OP
OP
F

Foilman

Aug 17, 2006
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandito II uMax
Thanks Sherm,
sounds likle good advice!

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Teknetics T2 & Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Foilman - here are the pics I promised. In order you will see:

1) This is what one of the tumbler containers looks like. They are made of some type of heavy rubber and you can see the lid sitting on this one. The lid appears to be made of aluminum or maybe thin steel. It has a threaded male end on top and the edges that you can see as rubber are part of a "cover" of rubber that goes over the metal lid so that when pushed into the tumbler the inside top of the container is rubber and not metal.

2) This is one of the containers with the rubber covered lid in place, followed by a metal (aluminum again?) lid, a washer and then the threaded nut. Basically what you do is fill the container with everything including water to about 2/3" or so and then press the rubber covered part into it by an inch or two. I was surprised that you don't screw a cap on or anything, but the rubber on rubber forms a seal and then you cover that with the metal part which fits over the edges of the tumbler by about 1/2 inch - then you thread the knob on hand tight and you're ready to go.

3) This is just a picture of the motorized tumbling unit - you can see the little white plastic piece - one of these goes on each end of the unit so that when you place the containers on and start the motor, they don't make contact with the metal edges and wear. Obviously, these plastic pieces will wear over time, but I don't think you'd need to order any special pieces, just go out and get some sheets of plastic, cut out a shape that will work, drill a hole in it and screw it in to replace the old one.

It's a good idea to get the extra belts - in fact, I'm glad that comment was made because I didn't do that and should get on the ball and get some now.

Like I said, I think it works well and will last awhile with a minimum of care.

Attachments

• tumbler1.jpg
    tumbler1.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 368
  • tumbler2.jpg
    tumbler2.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 360
  • tumbler3.jpg
    tumbler3.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 349

gold-digger

Jul 4, 2006
Gulf Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excals & Quattro
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Try using some Tarnex for a minute or two, pour into a container, rinse, and see how they did. Repeat if needed

lou423

Dec 14, 2005
S.W. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Tesoro. Minelab. Fisher.
I personally use the washing machine method... the coins end up clean, but still heavily stained...

OP
OP
F

Foilman

Aug 17, 2006
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandito II uMax
Thanks for the tips! I have since learned that this site has a forum about cleaning. OOPS! There is a lot to read there. After reading I tried the salt and vinegar and baking soda. That did great in a short time for many of them, not all. It was better than the bleach I think but watch when you add the vinegar it can fizz up fiercely!

fldiver

Mar 12, 2006
I built mine out of an old dive tank. I already had a tank tumbler built so I just took an old tank, cut the top off of it and cobbled up a sealing lid and I was in business. I don't have to worry about it wearing out..LOL

shootist

Aug 5, 2006
The hills of central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Explorer 2
I(meaning my wife) have a tumbler though I havent cleaned my clad yet but I was just thinking I bet you could use an electric ice cream maker,works about the same as the tumbler we have, bet you could find one at a flea market or goodwill for about 5 bucks,worth a shot and you wouldnt be out much if it didnt and if all else fails you could make some really good ice cream I love mine HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread