Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
Freed U.S. Dolphin Attacked by Sharks, Euthanized
Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Print ShareThisCLEARWATER, Florida — An Atlantic bottlenose dolphin was attacked by sharks and had to be euthanized just hours after he was released into the Gulf of Mexico off of western Florida.

Dunham, a juvenile male dolphin, was released Tuesday morning after eight months in rehab recovering from pneumonia.

Jeni Hatter, spokeswoman for the Clearwater Marine Aquarium, said the dolphin was attacked twice by at least two different sharks. Hatter said experts nearby were monitoring the dolphin with a VHF radio transmitter at the time of the attack.

Hatter said experts rushed to the dolphin and euthanized him because of the life-threatening injuries. She added that he wouldn't have been able to recover.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
when its your time to go -- other folks meddling will not save you long tem-- it was his time before he was sick --we butted in --postponed it a bit maybe but in the end if its your time see ya. sharks gotta eat too.

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
Isn't that about what happened to Free Willy? Except it was a few million in rehab.... thats some expensive shark bait right there- I tell ya what. :tongue3:

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I think the menu is Dolphin fish not Dolphin mammal. http://www.calhoun.org/page.cfm?p=2045&eid=774 As far as I know we dont eat Bottlenose Dolphin anymore than we would eat a Manatee or a Sperm Whale.

Sad story. I guess the juvenile couldnt get back to his pod :dontknow: There are many stories of Dolphins attacking sharks to save a human in danger. http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/21689083/ns/today-today_people/ For some reason they have a fascination with humans. They are certainly a thrill to see in the Everglades while out canoeing when they jump alongside.

I dont believe we are wasting tax dollars trying to save Dolphins, Whales or Manatees. Many of the rescue workers are volunteers. Its probably pollution that caused the dolphin to become ill in the first place. http://www.idw.org/html/dolphins_in_danger.html Pollution will continue because most people just dont care, dont think there is a problem or wont do anything to help. There is a lot we dont know about the dolphins radar type sensing abilities. Its all a learning experience and sometimes we need to let nature take its course. But is man made pollution considered natural?

3 members said they laughed until they puked and others seem to be criticizing those who try to help. If marine mammals cannot survive, eventually man cannot either. My guess is these votes came from members living inland and wouldnt know a dolphin if they saw one.

Attachments

• dolphin_fish.jpg
    dolphin_fish.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 301

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
the above fish known as a mahi -mahi * is also called dolphin , and is the one in the recipes * --only those who do not know better mistake the 2 very differant types of dolphins -- bottle nosed dolphins are like "flipper" from the TV show -- as a long time seaman I loved seeing bottle nosed dolphins * around --dolphins and sharks are mortal enemys * they hate one another , dolphins know that sharks will kill and eat any sick or hurt dolphins they run across -- and sharks know that a healthy pod of dolphins wil kill or drive off any sharks around. -- there are many many recorded cases of dolphins "helping" people that were being attacked by sharks ---these are highly intelligent animals.

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
ivan salis said:
---these are highly intelligent animals.
Yes they are highly intelligent animals Ivan. I apologize if I came off as being rude. I can understand someone living inland may not be familiar with these incredible animals. I just dont understand sitting back criticizing and laughing at someone thats trying to help by doing something good even though the ending was bad. I hope it was mostly joking in good sport. 8)Its not the dolphins fault that they have to live in an ocean polluted by man.

Yes I also love seeing these animals in the wild. Its a sad story and you cant blame the sharks for taking advantage of a sick and alone juvenile dolphin.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
as a old time seaman -- i love to see dolphins * we knew that if dolphins were about sharks were not in the area (being they hate one another) -when you make a living from the sea your ship might sink leaving you in the water at anytime --if so the last thing you want is sharks about * --there are many accounts of dolphins "helping" shipwrecked humans and protecting them from sharks *

so in a way dolphins and seafaring folks are "freinds" -- sadly as a old seaman , I also understand they ways of nature and sharks gotta eat too. sharks normally weed out the unhealthy dolphins in a pod -- dolphins tend to live in groups called "pods" -- a full grown healthy dolphin is more than a match for most sharks one on one.--so sharks target the young, the old and the sick ones.

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
They kept him in rehab for only 8 hours I guess hoping he would reunite with his pod. Maybe he was not completely recovered. Maybe he would have been better off kept in captivity (at least he would be alive) but I applaud their efforts to release this dolphin back into the wild. Pollution is killing most of them them, and its not natural causes.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread