Feb 21, 2008
N. Nevada
Detector(s) used
Goldmaster V/Sat and MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Freezng Fruit,Meat and Veggies Trick

Gypsy,
Great trick! I have always tried squeezing the air out but it always gets back in.

Thanks
Steve

M

MiniMe

Gypsy Heart said:
Dont have a vaccum sealer..no problem...
Using Zip Lock Freezer bag...insert a soda straw and close bag up to the straw..then suck the air out of bag....this works like a charm....hold pressure down n straw and withdraw...finish sealing bag.,...No Air...No freezer burn :icon_queen:

LOL....I'm so glad to know that I'm not the only one out there sucking air out of baggies. Did it for years until I finally saved up enough money to get a vacuum sealer. It does work though and a lot cheaper than the bags you have to buy for the sealer.

OP
OP
Gypsy Heart

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks

MiniMe said:
Gypsy Heart said:
Dont have a vaccum sealer..no problem...
Using Zip Lock Freezer bag...insert a soda straw and close bag up to the straw..then suck the air out of bag....this works like a charm....hold pressure down n straw and withdraw...finish sealing bag.,...No Air...No freezer burn :icon_queen:

LOL....I'm so glad to know that I'm not the only one out there sucking air out of baggies. Did it for years until I finally saved up enough money to get a vacuum sealer. It does work though and a lot cheaper than the bags you have to buy for the sealer.

LOL....I am to cheap.....Looks liKe I will be sucking air for a long time.....HAhaahahaha

stevesno

Feb 27, 2006
Deep in the Ozark Mountains
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ3D, Whites TM 808, Sharptronics DSP-03
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I've seen her do this! And she was mighty proud of herself when she discovered it.... lol.....Steve

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I've been using this technique for years...a tip I learned from my MIL. Just be careful when sucking the air out when you're freezing fish or shrimp in water. I spit & sputter when that flavored water draws back into my mouth. ::)

:wink: RR

M

MiniMe

I agree RR...LOL It can get a little nasty tastin if your not careful. I still use this method, it's quicker, actually than using the food saver. Just gotta watch what's coming up the straw....LOL ::)

wildrider

Bronze Member
Feb 25, 2007
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Nautilus DMC IIb/White's 6000 Di Pro

Although I like everything fresh....becasue I hate to thaw stuff. This is a good idea.

bucketofguts

Jul 2, 2007
N.C.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT and Garrett Seahunter mark 2. Treasure Mate pinpointerer
you can use a sink of clean water to push out all the air also. as the zip-lock is pulled under water the air will be displaced. my fish monger uses this technique on shrimp with a little water in the baggie and the shrimp frozen in the baggies and water is hard to tell from fresh after 6 months. :thumbsup:

extractor

Silver Member
Sep 27, 2007
Sal Sagev Adaven
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC,,,, SOVEREIGN GT,,,, GP 3500,,,,
GB PRO.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My House vaccume is broken .I will have to use my gold vac I use for prospecting.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread