Fresh Unclaimed Areas

sagthegreat

Jul 12, 2012
Sterling VA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I was bored in class and started thinking.....

I was thinking about how global warming melts glaciers, and exposes new virgin ground that was covered in ice for probably thousands of years. So why not find a gold producing area, and then use google earth to see where glaciers have melted, and then prospect and claim these previously iced over creeks. I means the possibility for atleast 1 dollar per pan could be there because the early prospectors could not reach those areas in the 1800's

Upvote 0

Vance in AK

Feb 15, 2010
Kenai, Alaska
Detector(s) used
Fisher GB II. Whites GM II.
A LOT of other people were bored in class before you were... :thumbsup:
Good idea though!
One problem you run into is that in areas where glaciers were justa few (100?) yrs ago there is often a LOT of overburden that has yet to wash away, & the gold is still poorly stratified. BUT, you never know where you might find a pocket & the looking is a blast!

Last edited:

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sag, Your reasonning is certainly with merit! Problem is it takes LOADS of money to start an adventure like that. I watched the finale of Gold Rush (only the second time I watched the show) and GRANDPA is doing just that! I hope you can do the same. Oh, did I mention investors???? TTC

OP
OP
sagthegreat

sagthegreat

Jul 12, 2012
Sterling VA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I mean if you are panning a creek that was under a glacier, then you might get lucky and have almost no overburden

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I mean if you are panning a creek that was under a glacier, then you might get lucky and have almost no overburden

the problem is that you are not likely to be on bedrock due to the way Glaciers receede..especially with how fast they have ben receeding as Vance mentioned.Ice melts and leaves a lot of material called the Morainne (spell?)

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I suppose you could pan the streams. Glaciers are WAY UP on mountains. There is much more rock up there than stream sediments. Sure, you can pan the streams and find gold but you will probably be throwing rocks over your shoulder that have more gold in them than you will be panning, I'll bet. TTC

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was bored in class and started thinking.....

I was thinking about how global warming melts glaciers, and exposes new virgin ground that was covered in ice for probably thousands of years. So why not find a gold producing area, and then use google earth to see where glaciers have melted, and then prospect and claim these previously iced over creeks. I means the possibility for atleast 1 dollar per pan could be there because the early prospectors could not reach those areas in the 1800's

A lot of areas have opened in the Yukon, and in Greenland over the last 10-years. You are actually behind the curve s a bit, as all of the big mining companies have already done exploratory drilling in many of the newly opened areas. You will be fighting expensive logistics, dangerous conditions, and in most cases new age environuts. Glaciers not so much, but the retreating ice shelf is revealing new mineral treasures.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Or...watch Into The Wild and then go for it!

OP
OP
sagthegreat

sagthegreat

Jul 12, 2012
Sterling VA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have a few hundred oz in silver, am almost in college, some day baby, some day....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread