monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was asked to make this for a museum, a fresh water clam shell hoe and thought some of you would like to see it. So since I'm recovering from the slice and dice surgery I thought I would post this. Not all NA had the stone in their area to make farming tools so they had to use what they could find. This may answer some thoughts on why you don't find stone hoe's in your area. They used bone a lot along with shell and wood. Comments and photo's are welcome. shell hoe 2.jpg shell hoe 1.jpg shell hoe.jpg

Upvote 0

crj1968

Feb 16, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool and nicely done.

Has a real one ever been found in tact that you know of?

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is really cool, you did a fantastic job. :thumbsup:

welsbury

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2010
Eastern oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nicely made. Have you ever used one to dig with? Just wondering how well they would hold up.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never thought about that before. We have some huge freshwater clams here.

Jeff H

Bronze Member
May 5, 2008
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Nice craftsmanship. I can see that blade holding up pretty well in fairly clean soil. As a kid we would use big hard shell clam shells to dig for soft shell clams on rocky beaches. A nice feature of that hoe is that you could change out a broken blade pretty quickly.

coosakid

Nov 3, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool, interesting​, and very good work

Sent from my Z799VL using Tapatalk

OP
OP
monsterrack

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Shells along the Gulf Coast, Fl. ,other states and any where they could be found were used for knifes, spoons, cups and ornaments. The Spider shell gorget from Moundsville Al. is a great example. In Fl. conch shell were tied onto a stick after make holes in them and used for war clubs.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As always excellent work. Your skill lever is very high. I have noticed the clam shells are not as thick as the once were. Very nice tool.

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Shells along the Gulf Coast, Fl. ,other states and any where they could be found were used for knifes, spoons, cups and ornaments. The Spider shell gorget from Moundsville Al. is a great example. In Fl. conch shell were tied onto a stick after make holes in them and used for war clubs.

Here in southern New England, it's recognized that shells were used as hoes. Apparently, some have been found with notches and were hafted somewhat differently then the model used for your own excellent reconstruction.

Another use for quahog(aka hardshell clam) was for pottery decoration. A friend of mine found a quahog shell like the one seen in the second photo. It had a series of 8-10 neat square notches set into the curved edge. This would allow the creation of a dashed or interrupted line when the shell was rocked. One of the coolest shell artifacts I have seen.

I also find the columns of whelk or conch shells with one end sharpened. I always assumed they could be shell awls. A friend, and knowledgeable collector from Florida, who also finds these sharpened whelk/conch columns suggested another use: clam forks for spearing and gulping down clams or quahogs on the half shell, like the 2 or 3 pronged clam forks we use today...

IMG_8107.JPG IMG_8112.JPG B6DEF949-2E1E-4670-8160-DDB99328FEFE-1757-000001855FB35C36.jpeg IMG_8115.JPG

Last edited:

ptsofnc

Apr 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really nice! Hope you fully recover and are able to get back out there soon!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread