fresh water hunts

DONinPA

Nov 8, 2008
I know many of you, like myself like to hunt beaches but not living close to one is a bit of a problem. I was watching some youtube videos and they were hunting fresh water swimming holes. Have any of you tried this?? any good finds or stories?? what type of detectors?? sounds like a great way to keep cool and a bit easier digging than the dry hardpack of summer..

Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am in Michigan now and aren't hunting the surf on the east coast due to health. Local swimming holes and inland lakes are just as much fun as the big water and the waves don't knock you off your feet. The bottom doesn't move around all that much and most items stay fairly shallow for a while. Many lakes have swim areas roped off so this concentrates the swimmers and it is easier to find things. Any good water detector will work here and I like the Excal, CZ-20 and Tiger Shark for water use. Pulse units tend to find lots of small iron as hairpins can last decades before rusting away. But the Pulse detectors are deeper, but shouldn't be your main unit as you need more disc power so as to not waste you time digging deep holes in the muck.

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am in Ohio and I hunt the fresh water swimming hole also. Some are good and some are bad. You never know what you will find. It is a great way to stay cool on a hot day take the family to the beach an while they swim and play in the sand you can detect to see what you can find. Fun for the whole family.....Matt

Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Florida- Somewhere in the middle
Detector(s) used
MXT 300/Excal II/Surf Dual Field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The first time I hunted in a lake near my house (swimming hole) with my excal, in 10 minutes I hit two rings... A really cute, dainty, womens ring in silver, and what I thought was a mans Platinum band... Ended up being Stainless (I think)... But still, two rings. Havent found anymore there but occasionally find some glad, earrings, etc... Dont have the waves, but the darn muck under the sand can be a pain, so no matter where you go, there are downsides..

niffler

Mar 19, 2008
Coos Bay, Oregon
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, DFX, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Killer B Hornets, Stealth 720i scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here in Idaho it gets brutally hot in the summer. People here are crazy for any water hole, and the state likes to keep as much water as possible in the reservoirs. By the end of the summer the water levels go way down. And people float down the rivers in tubes. I have done well in the water here, this year 14 silver rings, 2 heavy silver chains, but only 1 gold ring so far. I have some prospects for some lakes about 1-2 hours away, just have to find the time. Good luck and HH, Niffler

Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
niffler said:
Here in Idaho it gets brutally hot in the summer. People here are crazy for any water hole, and the state likes to keep as much water as possible in the reservoirs. By the end of the summer the water levels go way down. And people float down the rivers in tubes. I have done well in the water here, this year 14 silver rings, 2 heavy silver chains, but only 1 gold ring so far. I have some prospects for some lakes about 1-2 hours away, just have to find the time. Good luck and HH, Niffler
Our 'main" home is in Boise.... You hunt the Boise river? I can only imagine what lies in the "float" stretch, but the current runs fast all year, and is cold all year... I remember people floating in the heat of august with nothing more than a life vest, and how they made it all the way down to the pull out is beyond me.... I get in for 15 minutes and I am freezing...
Plan to hit a lot of areas when we get back.. I know some "secret" swimming holes on several other rivers and streams in that neck of the woods..

niffler

Mar 19, 2008
Coos Bay, Oregon
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, DFX, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Killer B Hornets, Stealth 720i scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silver, look me up if you back get out this way...I have some good spots too. Niffler

Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
niffler said:
Silver, look me up if you back get out this way...I have some good spots too. Niffler
I will DEFINITELY do that!!!
I like Florida for many reasons, the beaches being the biggest one,
but really miss home.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread