Freshly addicted rookie treasure hunter! I need advice from you vets!

SeattleHistoryNut

Dec 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have caught the bug. Addicted. I am a graduating senior History major with an emphasis on U.S. history and have always loved artifacts and relics! I recently went detecting with a friend and found a 1964 silver dime! That was it for me, I want more! The thrill I got from unearthing just a small piece of silver was overwhelming. I want to get my first detector! And I would greatly appreciate your advice/recommendations on what would be good to start with as a beginner, work well, and not break the bank. (Is that possible? Seeing as i'm a broke college student. . .) Any help would benefit me greatly and be even more greatly appreciated!
-Trevor

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
not knowing what will "Break your Bank"

I would start with a Garrett 250,
which I Believe you can pick up for around $200,
or if that's too much Check into the Bounty Hunters,
Or try to buy used.

OP
OP
S

SeattleHistoryNut

Dec 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
jeff of pa said:
not knowing what will "Break your Bank"

I would start with a Garrett 250,
which I Believe you can pick up for around $200,
or if that's too much Check into the Bounty Hunters,
Or try to buy used.
Awesome! Thank you!

kayden

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Ace250,AT Pro & Garrett Propointer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SeattleHistoryNut said:
I have caught the bug. Addicted. I am a graduating senior History major with an emphasis on U.S. history and have always loved artifacts and relics! I recently went detecting with a friend and found a 1964 silver dime! That was it for me, I want more! The thrill I got from unearthing just a small piece of silver was overwhelming. I want to get my first detector! And I would greatly appreciate your advice/recommendations on what would be good to start with as a beginner, work well, and not break the bank. (Is that possible? Seeing as i'm a broke college student. . .) Any help would benefit me greatly and be even more greatly appreciated!
-Trevor
Read everything you can on this site (It will definatly speed up the learning curve) & once you get your detector practice,practice & more practice!

baylorhall

Nov 17, 2008
North Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree that the ACE 250 is a great starter machine. You can always sell it and upgrade if you decide you want something better. I would also suggest a pinpointer. The Garrett Pro Pointer is awesome and semi-indestructible! If you can't afford that, you might order a very inexpensive one from Harbor Freight. They are about $18. It won't last forever and you can't be too rough with it, but it sure will ease the frustration when you are digging. Have fun!!

s.c.shooter

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2008
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov- AT PRO - AT Max - Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Quit now! While you are ahead. Save yourself from the frustration and expense. Just kidding! The ace is a great machine. I would try to get the 250 or 350 if you can afford it. Good luck!

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi There SHN,
You should use the best machine you can afford, preferably a newer one so you have the current technology to work with. What detector were you using when you found the dime? I've heard good things about the M6 by White's. You can read about all the machines on various treasure sites, Tnet has one and they are listed by brands. You want discrimination and ground balancing available on the machine you get. If its a modern machine from a good brand company you almost can not go wrong.

I worked without a pinpointer for years, I became very good at pinpointing with my detector, used a wooden stick over the center of the coil, would pull the coil away and go straight down with the stick. Use a brass probe as that will Help to not scratch the coins. Now that I have a pinpointer I would not go detecting without it, the Garret pinpointer is VERY good but costly. You will need some sort of digging implement IF you dig plugs. With my brass probe I was able to locate the coin and with effort pull it out at least down to about 5 inches. ALWAYS 1)Ask for permission to detect on private property 2) Fill your holes back up. Metal Detecting is on the verge of being shunned by society due in part to some of us not filling our holes back up.

I second what you've already been told: Read all you can on all websites about detectors, tools, ways of detecting, setting up the machines then, practice, practice, practice, read, practice, etc then ask questions on the various group sites and then don't forget to research, research, research and then when you are out walking/driving/biking/etc. look around what do you see (Big tall trees are a dead giveaway saying "I am Old" dig here, an evergreen shrub or usually two out in a field they mark the driveway that is no longer there or odd/non-native trees tell a story, etc.)

And last but maybe should have been first, go to detector club meetings listen & ask. You should also find one or two folks who will welcome getting together with you to let you try out their machine. You've done something like tha already as you tried out your friends machine that you found the dime with.

If all else fails, read the rest of the Newbie questions that have recently been answered just a few clicks down from yours, good replies.

Okay, go have fun, schools out............63bkpkr

OP
OP
S

SeattleHistoryNut

Dec 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Ok so my next question is why is a pinpointer so necessary? Once your detector sounds off isn't that all you need in order to know where to dig? And 63bkpr I didn't get a look at the brand name on the detector he was using, never thought to look!

dbennett7

Aug 7, 2011
most of the people are telling you to get a ace 250 that is good advice i will tell you also if it is in your budget to look for a 10x14 eccelerator coil it can turn the ace into your 200.00 detector into a 700.00 detector it will help you a find depper targets good luck dennis

TabWhisperer

Mar 17, 2010
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
TDI SL, Equinox800, Whites XL Pro w/tone mod, Makro Racer, Whites IDX Pro w/Bills mods
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
SeattleHistoryNut said:
Ok so my next question is why is a pinpointer so necessary? Once your detector sounds off isn't that all you need in order to know where to dig? And 63bkpr I didn't get a look at the brand name on the detector he was using, never thought to look!

For me a pinpointer is a time saver. It would be good experience for you to use the traditional method of probing and trying locate the target when you dig for it. Then if your friend has a pinpointer use his to see how it helps speed up the process. Some people may not like using a pinpointer. But coins and small stuff can get hard to see and pick out of the dirt. Depending on your budget you can get a cheap one from Harbor Freight for aboiut 15 bucks on up to what I think most people wind up using, a Garrett Pro Pointer for about 85-110 used or about 126-150 new. You do not have to go out and sink a lot of money in the hobby when you are getting started but count on a few hundred to get started when you figure in stuff you need in addition to a detector. It takes a little time for you to get hands on experience and figure out your personal likes or dislikes in the way of detectors and the other equipment. Do not listen to anyone that says XYZ detector is the best based on the fact they own one. There are pros and cons to everything so you will have to weed some of that out for your own benefit. The variables include your personal tastes on how a detector sounds and handles in your local conditions. Some detectors don't have displays and only use sound so you may or may not want that feature. The good news is you have a lot of quality detectors to choose from plus internet sites like this one to get free support and ideas.

Hosensack

Apr 20, 2007
Mertztown, Pa
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Safari,X-Terra 705, Tesoro Tejon, Whites DFX, Garrett AT Pro, GTI 2500, 250, Fisher Gold Bug DP,F75 Limited
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it is relics you seek, considering a Tejon or Vaquero by Tesoro may be a better option, you can find used ones for just a bit more than a new ACE 250 and they are bot monsters with relic hunting depth.

Did the machine you used have visual id(a screen) if so and if you really want that, which as a beginner you may, then disregard above comment...also if despite the desire to relic hunt you plan on hunting a lot of parks and coinshooting the ACE is the better beginner choice.

But if you have some good sites for relics and that is your main focus The Tesoro's mentioned above would be fantastic choices.

OP
OP
S

SeattleHistoryNut

Dec 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hosenack and Jimbob thank you very much for weighing in! And silver coins are very much what I want to hunt! I have decided on the Ace 250! After much research and positive input from many of you/consumer reviews and my poor college student budget haha the Ace 250 is it! Thanks again everyone and HH
-CHN

relichunters

Bronze Member
May 4, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
I had terrible luck with the ACE 250, all of my best finds came from the Bounty Hunter - Quick Silver because of the incredible depth it gets. But the best detector of all has been my beloved Tesoro Silver uMax, that thing is incredible.

VWandSTUDEBAKER

Jul 11, 2010
Gainesville FLorida
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, Whites BHID, Whites SurfPlus,Whites 5900 Pro Sl, various other detectors, TRX pin pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread