Freshly Hatched Wild Turkey Chicks

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry the photos are not better, but they did not cooperate with me an pose ;D For a few years now Turkey have been constant visitors to my property and a couple hens stay here about 9 months out of the year. Earlier this summer we saw one hen with a couple chicks, but only one day and that was back in June! I was preparing lunch about an hour ago and looked at the window and saw the hen turkey we call "Hilda" feeding on the lawn. I quickly went down to the garage and got some bird seed to put into the empty feeder. Hilda came right up to me at the feeder, but now I saw she had a family with her but a few clucks from her and the chicks hightailed it to the shadows of the Scyamore trees about 15 feet from me. So the photos are not too good but at least one chick is quite visibile. Maybe if they return later to the feeder I will get some better photographs. But does it not seem rather late for such small chicks?

Don

Attachments

• TurkeyChicks 3.jpg
    TurkeyChicks 3.jpg
    228.3 KB · Views: 607
  • Mama Turkey feeding chicks in background.jpg
    Mama Turkey feeding chicks in background.jpg
    290 KB · Views: 538

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those little suckas are fast ain't they? It does seem a little late but they grow fast and should be ok. We have a hen around here that just laid a clutch of about 20 eggs and she has now gone broody and is setting on them. Nothing like some free Rhode Island Reds. Chickens have been increasing in value constantly this last year or so because people are discovering the taste, cost and food value is so much better. Turkey chicks cost even more. ::)

S

stefen

Poults can be downright expensive depending on age ( and usually shipped un-sexed)...buy the eggs (much cheaper) and place under a brood hen...

Probably one of the dumbest of the domesticated birds...will drown itself in a rain storm...stand for hours with it's mouth open to the sky...

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 11 & White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe the hen lost her first batch to predators & had to 'set' again, they should be safe from hunters staying close to your house. :thumbsup:

Fossis............

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
stefen said:
Poults can be downright expensive depending on age ( and usually shipped un-sexed)...buy the eggs (much cheaper) and place under a brood hen...

Probably one of the dumbest of the domesticated birds...will drown itself in a rain storm...stand for hours with it's mouth open to the sky...
Crazy man!

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Explorer XS II, Fisher 1266-X
Primary Interest:
Other
mmmmmmmm, tastes like turkey. If a hen got that close to me, she'd be in da smoker real quick.....NGE

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions