rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well Im not much on days they say are bad luck I think its how you plan your day weather it will be good or bad. Now this morning I was driving my car and a big trophy buck liked it so much he decided to drop in and pay me a visit while I was driving and smashed my front end. That was the bad part of today which nobody could of prevented it just bad timing on the bucks part. I decided not to let it ruin my day so after dropping it to the repair shop and getting a rental I decided to go have a look else where.
I found a quartzite flake that is a uni but modified to be a point or knife then rite after that I found a chunk of worked flint which I guess could be a preform or some kind if scraper and just before I gave up I found the Pickwick which looks to be made of Rayholite I thought it was flint but after washing it I think its the other. It was smiling up at me so I took it home :tongue3:. I have included some other pieces in the group from some other hunts that just werent that great so these are from the last couple of hunts. Any questions let me know otherwise I hope everyone has a good Friday the 13th, rock

Attachments

• SDC12641.JPG
    SDC12641.JPG
    697.4 KB · Views: 93
  • SDC12642.JPG
    SDC12642.JPG
    693.3 KB · Views: 74
  • SDC12640.JPG
    SDC12640.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 90
  • SDC12596.JPG
    SDC12596.JPG
    870.5 KB · Views: 77
Upvote 0

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is one sweet knife rock! And here I was thinking Friday the 13th was supposed to be bad luck. I guess old superstition got you after all with the old front end though. I would have hauled the ******* home and put him in the freezer.

OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I forgot to add this little guy I found in the past couple of weeks. Nothing special but it was worked and also a closer look at the heart breaker triangle missing the tip.

Attachments

• SDC12660.JPG
    SDC12660.JPG
    620.8 KB · Views: 78
  • SDC12658.JPG
    SDC12658.JPG
    660.6 KB · Views: 70
OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is one sweet knife rock! And here I was thinking Friday the 13th was supposed to be bad luck. I guess old superstition got you after all with the old front end though. I would have hauled the ******* home and put him in the freezer.

So whats your take on the knife as the type? I have 4 that it could be Pickwick, Elora, Savannah River (small type) or a Leddbetter. All 4 are found in my area. Also the material type would be nice. The stem has the original cortex on it so it isnt snapped.

Attachments

• SDC12649.JPG
    SDC12649.JPG
    727.7 KB · Views: 80
  • SDC12651.JPG
    SDC12651.JPG
    687.2 KB · Views: 70
  • SDC12653.JPG
    SDC12653.JPG
    620.7 KB · Views: 57

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So whats your take on the knife as the type? I have 4 that it could be Pickwick, Elora, Savannah River (small type) or a Leddbetter. All 4 are found in my area. Also the material type would be nice. The stem has the original cortex on it so it isnt snapped.
I would lean more towards Ledbetter just because of the curve in the blade on that one side making it a little asymmetrical. JMO. Looking at the third pic it looks decently thin too. Very nice find man!

jamus peek

May 13, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry to hear about your truck Im sure you felt better after your nice finds.

OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry to hear about your truck Im sure you felt better after your nice finds.

I dont shoot animals so I felt bad for the buck to. But Im sure the repair bill wont be pretty, thanks

OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds , so since the base has original Cortex you don't think it was a bit longer ?

I dont think the stem was much bigger but maybe the blade was. Usually when cortex is on the end of the stem like that that was the original length of the stem.

OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would lean more towards Ledbetter just because of the curve in the blade on that one side making it a little asymmetrical. JMO. Looking at the third pic it looks decently thin too. Very nice find man!

I have found a few Ledbetters so its very possible. Im leaning towards Limestone on the material due to the chunks I find in that creek and the texture of it. Feels like a piece of schist with the bumps but Ive never seen a good quality piece of schist that would work as a knife.

Mark Todd

Apr 22, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nice finds "rock",
Did a little bit of research on Ledbetter/Mule Road points and thought you might appreciate this information.
I think you may be correct on your thinking that that point is made of limestone chert.
I think that it could be Kincaid chert. It certainly looks very similar to your point.
Of course, yours came out of the creek.
You hunt creeks enough to know what the local minerals and tree leaves do to virgin cherts.
When I was researching I found out that there are Damian Clayton geological "Kincaid outcroppings in Alabama and Georgia.
The information I'm sending in the pictures is particularly definitive of Ledbetter points in Illinois, but has a great deal of carry- over.
Notice the top left example that is made from Kincaid Chert ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1508116631.861702.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1508116653.195473.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1508116678.762440.jpg

OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you are onto something there Mark. Even though I have never heard of it and this is the 1st one I have found like it the pic you shared looks very close to what I found even down to the bumps on the skin. Thanks for sharing that info, rock

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions