Friday 4/17/09 hunt (insitu)

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->
It's been awhile but I got some good hunting in today, my research is starting to pay off in a couple of new areas. I found a nice celt with a sharp polished bit, a few uniface tools, a large scraper, one good point, and a couple heartbreakers. These multicomponent fields / sites sure are exciting, you really have no idea what culture the next piece of flint you turn over may be. thanks for looking,

Upvote 0

am-ark

Nov 30, 2008
Virginia
Re: Friday 4/19/09 hunt (insitu)

Great finds!!!.... Would that one be considered a square knife?.....Thanks for sharing :thumbsup:

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

thats some good stuff thier,i like those big square knives,the one i have is my fav.still thinking bout hunting west virgina,i am jamey

*Molly*

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2008
England.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nice finds 37, especially the blade. Congrats.

Molly.

OP
OP
Th3rty7

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->

thanks for the comments am-ark, I'm pretty sure it's a celt, a flaked hematite celt with a serious patina, it's got a polished bit that's still razor sharp. I was thinking square or rectangular knife too until I got this baby in my hand. It's fairly thick and fits the hand well. Because of the bit and thickness I'm leaning towards celt. I've included a close up of the polished bit, and a heartbreaker square knife I found some years ago.

hey little john, good eyes, looks promising, I probably missed it due too excitement, I know where that part of the field is though and will flip that guy next time I'm there, thanks for pointing it out. I think I see a couple more possibilities in another pic.

jamey, thanks man, I'm always thinking about hunting wv, lol, covered a good chunk of it today, se wv, I'm looking foward to it, I've always wanted to hit the kanawha valley and some of the major watersheds.

thanks Molly, appreciate the comments.

Attachments

• phpAIhmnRPM.jpg
    phpAIhmnRPM.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 233
  • phpPSjZr8PM.jpg
    phpPSjZr8PM.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 234
OP
OP
Th3rty7

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->
as far as I can tell this piece is undamaged, it's worked around both edges, and has a consistent patina, I guess it's a uniface tool of some sort, really fits the hand well, but could also possibly be hafted? any ideas?

Attachments

• phpXolY0QPM.jpg
    phpXolY0QPM.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 207
  • phpfSlUpPPM.jpg
    phpfSlUpPPM.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 207

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread