T

tonykidd

Dec 4, 2016
North Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Man you find some nice stuff.... That serrated point is a killer

Sent from my A571VL using Tapatalk

Those are the first two Dalton's we've found at that particular site. Everything we've found there is early Archaic and in pretty good shape. It's better to be lucky than good!

OP
OP
T

tonykidd

Dec 4, 2016
North Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Those are some very nice finds, I don't find many whole points here.

I'm no expert, but we have begun to take a more thoughtful approach to hunting for artifacts. We were finding plenty of broken points and tools, enough that it was getting annoying. So we decided to take a different approach based upon common sense.
Most of the area around where we look has been farmed or logged over the years. We have been concentrating on undisturbed areas. It's a lot tougher, takes more time and effort and the weather affects the hunt more than, say, walking a plowed field. With summer coming we are beginning to struggle with the heat and humidity, and have to limit our activities tremendously. Our site determination is fairly simple. We typically look for either existing water or indications of where we believe water may have been thousands of years ago. Then, we determine where we would have lived back then, taking into account rising water, ease of defense, easy and sanitary waste disposal and access to the water supply. More often than not, we'll find some evidence of habitation, then it's a matter of labor: raking, digging and sifting. We find more whole points than broken ones now, at least for the time being.

crj1968

Feb 16, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We were finding plenty of broken points and tools, enough that it was getting annoying.

uhhhh....I wish I had that problem out west!

Sounds like you are dialed in....looking forward to your finds as always!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread