All Treasure Hunting
FRIDAY'S 6 BOXES OF HALVES + QUESTION

hey guys
i picked up 6 boxes yesterday (2 string, 4 brinks), these are the totals:

10x 40%ers: 65', 66' (2), 67' (6), 69-D

7X 64's

1 52' franklin

1 37' walker (AU+)

9 CLAD proofs: 81-S, 83-S (dirty), 95-S, 99-S, 2000-S, 2002-S, 2003-S, 2004-S, 2008-S

NIFC: 2002-P, 2002-D, 2004-P AND

66X 2009-P
71X 2009-D

What the hell? ??? someone dumped a mint bag?? still don't know if i should keep or dump 'em.
the 2009's have the lowest mintage of the series (after the 2008's) at only 1,900,000 i know NIFC's don't worth much more than FV but do you think it's worth keeping them? :help:

thanks for the help. i'll try to post pics later on tonight. have a great weekend all!

Upvote 0

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: FRIDAY'S 6 BOXES OF HALVES + QUESTION

No one can really answer this for you. Its your collection - keep what you want.

Personally, I do not think clad NIFC halves are worth keeping as an investment. I do not see the value of these coins going up much...if any. I look at the 1987 as an example. The coin is now 24 years old and has very little to no demand from collectors. I think the $70 or so in face value you have in those NIFCs could be better "invested" elsewhere if you're looking for a monetary gain.

CHAINCHOMP

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2010
Colorado Springs CO.
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QS

holy crap!!!!!!!!!!! great box!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and yes, i would keep the nifc halves if i were u...keep it up and hh!

OP
OP
yonico

yonico

Dec 25, 2010
New York City
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

ArkieBassMan said:
. I look at the 1987 as an example. The coin is now 24 years old and has very little to no demand from collectors.

well..

1987 half dollar mintage:

# 1987 P - 2,890,758
# 1987 D - 2,890,758

2009 half dollar mintage:

# 2009 P - 1,900,000
# 2009 D - 1,900,000

and the fact that the 1987's were in circulation make them easier to get IMO. the 2009's are only found in mint sets / bags, and i think most people keep them THIS WAY, although some hAve broken it and dumped them (can't understand why).

just sayin..

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

yonico said:
ArkieBassMan said:
. I look at the 1987 as an example. The coin is now 24 years old and has very little to no demand from collectors.

well..

1987 half dollar mintage:

# 1987 P - 2,890,758
# 1987 D - 2,890,758

2009 half dollar mintage:

# 2009 P - 1,900,000
# 2009 D - 1,900,000

and the fact that the 1987's were in circulation make them easier to get IMO. the 2009's are only found in mint sets / bags, and i think most people keep them THIS WAY, although some hAve broken it and dumped them (can't understand why).

just sayin..

By all means keep them if you think they will increase in value. I disagree, but I definitely could be wrong.

The 1987 was NOT issued for circulation. Its an NIFC just like the 2002-2010 and was only issued in mint sets, rolls, etc.

Using the PCGS price guide as an example, there is really no difference in price between the low mintage NIFC and the high mintage common dates. In fact, sometimes the common dates are worth a bit more. According to their price guide a MS63 2009 is worth $5. The 1999 is worth $8 in MS63.

It all comes down to supply and demand. There is no demand for the NIFC now, and I just don't forsee any demand for a circulated condition NIFC in the future. What I am saying is that - in my opinion - you could take that $70 worth of NIFC you found and use it to buy 90% silver or a couple ASEs. In 20+ years, I think the silver will be worth more than the circulated NIFC. Again, thats just my opinion and I could be wrong.

OP
OP
yonico

yonico

Dec 25, 2010
New York City
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

i stand corrected. my bad
the 1987's were NOT issued for circulation.
still, with the 2009 mintage 35% lower than 1987's mintage, i wonder if you'd still advise me to dump them if i found $70 in 1987 halves in my box.
just to be clear, your opinion seems to be very logical and i'm still not sure what i'm gnna do with these. thank you for your help!
johnny

OP
OP
yonico

yonico

Dec 25, 2010
New York City
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

silver spoon said:
that 2008 s is sweet thats one i need for my collection.iS ITS MIRROR LOOK SUPER SHINY or does it have a few scratches.
hey..
it's very shiny. deep mirrors and clean fields with very little to no contact marks. but no cameo :(

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

yonico said:
i stand corrected. my bad
the 1987's were NOT issued for circulation.
still, with the 2009 mintage 35% lower than 1987's mintage, i wonder if you'd still advise me to dump them if i found $70 in 1987 halves in my box.
just to be clear, your opinion seems to be very logical and i'm still not sure what i'm gnna do with these. thank you for your help!
johnny

All I can say is what I would do. I would keep 2 or 3 of the best condition coins for my collection and dump the rest. I'm not advising you to keep or dump anything. I just simply stated my opinion on the future value of NIFC halves. I want you to keep whatever coins you want to keep. Its your collection, and its your money. Don't let anyone, including me, talk you out of something you want!

I keep coins all the time that I do not expect to increase in value. For example, I keep all pre-'60 Jefferson nickels. Other than the few semi-key dates and war nickels, these coins aren't gonna go up in value. I honestly can't say why I keep them. I started collecting as a kid in the late 1970s. For whatever reason,1959 or earlier was the "magic date" that allowed me to add the nickel to my keeper pile. I still do that today, but I do not search many nickels at all. If I ever start searching a lot of nickels, I strongly suspect that my keeper list would be reduced to the semi-key dates and war nickels. I also have kept every impaired proof clad half dollar I have found. Again, I haven't found that many. Should it get to the point where I have a bunch in my collection, all of the lower grades will get culled. Personally, I don't want hundreds of dollars worth of my CRH bankroll tied up in coins that I do not expect to increase in value.

OP
OP
yonico

yonico

Dec 25, 2010
New York City
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

hey
thanks again for your input. i think you're right.
I'm going to keep 1 roll 2009-p and 1 roll 2009-d and dump the rest.
thank you!

coincrawlin

Sep 13, 2010
SoCal
Detector(s) used
Teknetics G2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I've also been wondering whether to keep them. I seem to find more of the 2009's than any of the other NIFC's. I've accumulated enough that I think I will just save a few in the best condition and dump the rest. As an investment I just don't think they will pay off anytime soon.

fiddycent

Oct 23, 2008

I keep some...dump some. Depends on
1) how many I have of each date.
2) condition of said coin.
3) how I'm feeling at the moment.

I have to say that I try to get full rolls of each date. Best NIFC's I ever scored was on a road trip. Unopened blue mint rolls of '04 P and '04 D. Have considered sending them in unopened for grading and selling the slabbed coins on eBay. Seems that would give the highest return on investment but then again they are just business strikes but...

Whatchoo guys think?

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

fiddycent said:
I keep some...dump some. Depends on
1) how many I have of each date.
2) condition of said coin.
3) how I'm feeling at the moment.

I have to say that I try to get full rolls of each date. Best NIFC's I ever scored was on a road trip. Unopened blue mint rolls of '04 P and '04 D. Have considered sending them in unopened for grading and selling the slabbed coins on eBay. Seems that would give the highest return on investment but then again they are just business strikes but...

Whatchoo guys think?

Personally, I don't think you would recover the cost of having them graded and slabbed. Of course, I don't know as I have never done it nor have I even heard of it being done.

I do know that those blue mint rolls do usually command a bit of a premium when sold. Personally, I'd just sell them as is.

SeaninNH

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2010
New Hampshire USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I'm keeping mine now. I've seen more than a few rolls of assorted NIFCs sell on feebay for $1+ per coin.

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT

ArkieBassMan said:
yonico said:
ArkieBassMan said:

Using the PCGS price guide as an example, there is really no difference in price between the low mintage NIFC and the high mintage common dates. In fact, sometimes the common dates are worth a bit more. According to their price guide a MS63 2009 is worth $5. The 1999 is worth $8 in MS63.

1999 is worth $8 in MS63? What? Feebay prices are no where near that for 1999-D's. PCGS just makes up numbers. Plus no one would pay PCGS the grading fees to grade some 1999-D half dollar to be MS63.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread