Friendly park ranger at Iowa hill bridge

infotraker

Dec 20, 2013
Ca
Detector(s) used
Whites mxt
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Parked yesterday at the Iowa hill bridge area n. Ca.
Park ranger walked by a line of cars, stopped at one and I thought he was writing a parking ticket. He actually was giving the person money back as they had paid to much in the envelope that morning ! When he came to a jeep behind me he noticed a disabled license plate. He gave 5 dollars back to the driver as he only should have paid half price. Good deeds do occur these days.

Upvote 0

mcordell

Nov 2, 2013
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I've had some very friendly DFW guys come onto my claim and ask a couple questions and spot check me for power equipment then leave. Even CHP stop and talk a little while I'm at the car to check me out and make sure I'm not some riff raff jumping a claim or growing pot in the forest. We do have some good LEO's out there.

rhinsb

Greenie
Oct 25, 2014
Santa Barbara
Detector(s) used
Goldbug pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sounds like the same guy my son and I met last fall. We were the only ones there
as it was during the week and the back section was closed. He was very friendly
and told us to watch out for a mother bear and cubs that were seen eating a deer
carcass about a half mile away. We told him we had the pleasure of meeting
her the night before just after the rain had stopped. My son nudged me and
pointed to the side of the tent where we could hear the sniffing and shadow
of her snout while she checked out our site for food. We all got a good laugh
out of the story, but I neglected to tell him we spent the rest of the night
crammed into the cab of my truck! Love mineral bar just the same as we got
some nice gold for our trouble.:occasion14:

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Parked yesterday at the Iowa hill bridge area n. Ca.
Park ranger walked by a line of cars, stopped at one and I thought he was writing a parking ticket. He actually was giving the person money back as they had paid to much in the envelope that morning ! When he came to a jeep behind me he noticed a disabled license plate. He gave 5 dollars back to the driver as he only should have paid half price. Good deeds do occur these days.

He wont last long

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
Bonaro is right!! Ive seen this myself! when a Ranger or another person is friendly to dredgers or prospectors and this gets back to his boss he gets a talking to or moved or worse yet fired! Ive seen this happen in several states.

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
Bonaro is right!! Ive seen this myself! when a Ranger or another person is friendly to dredgers or prospectors and this gets back to his boss he gets a talking to or moved or worse yet fired! Ive seen this happen in several states.

Damned if he does, damned if he doesn't.

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea but these are Auburn State Rec Area Rangers, not USFS. I actually had 2 offer to help me get my dredge in the water one time below Mammoth Bar. Only once did one come down and tell me I was above the water line... Then I showed him the high water mark and did a little teaching and that helped him out a lot :)

goldog

Sep 25, 2012
Tujunga, CA
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap, A-51, Gold Pan
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Most of my encounters have been friendly. One Sheriff deputy was, let's say, curious about me coming out with a shovel. Seems there's more dead bodies than live ones up there. (In SoCal not Auburn)

SchoolOfHardRocks

Apr 30, 2014
Gone, With the Wind
Primary Interest:
Other
Im just curious to see how they interact with us next year and beyond. I know im not going to easily adopt the new hands and pans regs in ASRA..if ever. Just gonna have to hike a little deeper in, where i know they are not willing to go. And if they do happen to catch me, I will plead ignorance and take the hand slap. Screw em!!!

CApicker

Nov 3, 2013
West Sacramento, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im just curious to see how they interact with us next year and beyond. I know im not going to easily adopt the new hands and pans regs in ASRA..if ever. Just gonna have to hike a little deeper in, where i know they are not willing to go. And if they do happen to catch me, I will plead ignorance and take the hand slap. Screw em!!!

Your right HardRocks... I just got surprised by 3 rangers in canoes in the ASRA where I have never seen a ranger before that told me that Only above the confluence is legal and hands and pans only... strange but oh well... I figure my shovels crow-bars hammers and all are my definition of Hands and pans... :laughing7:
And watch out because I can do incredible things with just hands and pans... there are some secrets... just saying.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
In Missouri the DNR and Park rangers wear camo and sit up on hills next to the float streams here with binoculars to watch for people smoking pot and throwing trash into Missouri streams and then pull them over downstream with a bunch of DNR Rangers to cite them or just arrest them! and dummies keep on doing what they want and getting cited! Some will never learn!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread