Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
COMBINATION POST: scroll down...

Brad and I got out for a hunt. The temp was about 15-20 degrees the entire day, however we were outside of the snowstorm line, so that worked out. The ground was still soft, but that's not going to last long. The entire day we had dirt freezing to everything. Our shovels were iced over, and our pinpointers were even getting frozen to our pouches.

We tried to find a concentrated pit but couldn't find enough concentration. So we did some brush removal and iron clearing instead with some good success. I'm very pleased with the buttons I dug, and a few were early. Among them was my best example of this type of pewter. I thought it could have been a USA button when first dug.

View attachment 1399716 View attachment 1399717 View attachment 1399718

Other notables was a two-piece 18th C button (a first), fur trade era blowhole button, a drawer pull plate (or another theory is a fork furrule), and a 1770's counter King George half penny.
View attachment 1399719 View attachment 1399720 View attachment 1399721 View attachment 1399722 View attachment 1399723 View attachment 1399724

Great company and great fun. It's always a blast hunting with Brad. He brings a lot to this hobby and is very knowledgeable.

Stay warm and good digs!

Steve

Last edited:
Upvote 9

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Way to go you men of the north! Never hunted in that cold, low to mid 20s is my personal record.

Patriot Relics

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2014
Lowcountry, South Carolina / Richmond, Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great shots you added. I was having trouble getting the low tones between all that iron with the CTX. I should have brought my Deus like you did. And great finds. Those machine turned tombacs are unbelievable. That broken one would have been the "belle of the ball" if t we're whole.

I'm all, yep we're insane. As you know my wife lets me know, but this time of year you have to go for it. The door up here is basically now shut. Maybe this winter I'll go down and bother you and Joey;)

I find that I can work between the iron with the CTX using combined 4 tones quite well, full tones for me is just to much noise on heavy iron

montcalm

Jan 31, 2015
Lévis, Quebec
Detector(s) used
Tesoro shark,Tesoro Cortes, ExcaliburII,Garett Atpro
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice variety relics finds!The coin look like a Georges III half penny circa 1772.

montcalm

Jan 31, 2015
Lévis, Quebec
Detector(s) used
Tesoro shark,Tesoro Cortes, ExcaliburII,Garett Atpro
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice variety relics finds!The coin look like a Georges III half penny circa 1772.It,s funny to learn the English meaning from frigid( I,m french from Quebec)it means in french a women who,s kind of cold about..:-)

OP
OP
Scrappy

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Steve and Brad, you guys really are hard core! To find anything in those conditions is commendable and both of you came back with a variety of good finds. Well done!
Steve I think it was so cold that even your pictures froze :-\

Glenn, Brad is hardcore. Ive never seen anyone destroy overgrowth and brush like that man. Thanks for looking - a few old relics made the hunt all worth it for us.

hunting deer

Jul 21, 2010
Indiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice relics! I can relate. I went out in it too. My buddy carhartt and I. Managed an axehead, Great finds!

OP
OP
Scrappy

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Great hunt steve, you trudged on thru the freezing cold and were rewarded greatly! Jealous!!

Thanks Chris. I know you're busy and probably froze through now, but I hope you find more time to get out in 2017. Cheers man

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You guys must have a bad case of the "fever" to be out digging in these temps :laughing7:
You won't find me out digging in this weather unless I have a really hot virgin site that can't be ignored...lol

But it looks like you both made some nice finds, so that probably warmed you up some.

OP
OP
Scrappy

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice digs to start off 2017 Steve, anything on the front of those pewter buttons?

I find that I can work between the iron with the CTX using combined 4 tones quite well, full tones for me is just to much noise on heavy iron

I wish there was something on the front Jon. In fact I ran over to Brad when I went to wipe off the front. Lol.

I also use 4-tone GH program, but when the iron is "machine gun", I still loose the lows. Funny enough I had brad test a section of heavy iron ground I scanned to check my work. He didn't find anything in the 8'x12' section with the Deus in fast/18kHz.

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Soooooooooooo jealous :BangHead: looks like youse diggers raided a museum :icon_thumleft::icon_thumright:

OP
OP
Scrappy

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice variety relics finds!The coin look like a Georges III half penny circa 1772.It,s funny to learn the English meaning from frigid( I,m french from Quebec)it means in french a women who,s kind of cold about..:-)

Haha, that's pretty funny stuff. Yep, that also translates into that over here as well. Thanks for looking egh.

OP
OP
Scrappy

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice relics! I can relate. I went out in it too. My buddy carhartt and I. Managed an axehead, Great finds!

Cudos to you for getting out. Hopefully it was a nice early hand wrought axe head?

OP
OP
Scrappy

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
You guys must have a bad case of the "fever" to be out digging in these temps :laughing7:
You won't find me out digging in this weather unless I have a really hot virgin site that can't be ignored...lol

But it looks like you both made some nice finds, so that probably warmed you up some.

I think part of it is the difficulty for Brad and I to get a hunt in together, because of schedules and what not. The rest I believe is what my wife refers to as "crazy idiot". Lol.

K1DDO1979

Silver Member
Feb 8, 2014
Peggy's Cove, Nova Scotia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Fisher F75 Ltd SE 2 & Fisher F2 with 11"DD
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think part of it is the difficulty for Brad and I to get a hunt in together, because of schedules and what not. The rest I believe is what my wife refers to as "crazy idiot". Lol.

I hear ya. I went out during the big snowstorm the other night while still only a few inches was down. Went to a old site but managed only a 1992 penny for all my trouble but it was totally worth it because it would be impossible right now to go even in the woods. The wife just shook her head but her eyes said "crazy idiot"! Haha

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
.....great hunt fellas. I love the tenacity of you two and you certainly deserve the great relics you're pulling out!

OP
OP
Scrappy

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Do any of you people work?

.....great hunt fellas. I love the tenacity of you two and you certainly deserve the great relics you're pulling out!

Work? Hahah. And our next time out we're going to need a location that's a bit milder. Hmmmm....perhaps a mid-Atlantic state that begins with V. And with a guy with a name that begins with J. Lol.

It was a great hunt, and a good way to end the season. And that "button" I texted you a pic of? ....likely a hat pin top. ID courtesy of a member across the pond.

Cheers bud

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions