Friley Points

A

Atlantis0077

Greetings,

Had a wonderful weekend for looking, unfortunately I was down for the count with a nasty virus. I did want to show a few points found a few weeks back. The points across the top are called Friley points....the barbs face forward and normally they have a "fishtale" base. Not the greatest specimens, but Frileys are difficult to find perfect because they are very thin and delicate. If you consult your Overstreet guide under the Northern Central section you will see the the "Fox Valley" variety bears remarkable similarity to the Friley. The bottom row shows a a non descript paleo point....San Patrice/Pelican type with a good flute, Homan, and Basset.

Happy Hunting,

Atlantis

Attachments

• frileys.jpg
    frileys.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 308
Upvote 0

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Great photos Atlantis.....I dont know ...your specimens look pretty good compared to this one found in point recognition glossary!

Attachments

• friley.jpg
    friley.jpg
    4 KB · Views: 348

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Atlantis,

Awesome finds! Learned something new reading your post. I have not found anything like these yet.

Hope you recovered from that nasty virus.

HH ;)
RR

OP
OP
A

Atlantis0077

Howdy RR,

Yep recovered from the virus....still feeling a bit "flushed." No time to look this weekend, between Easter and yard mowing there is just no time for the important stuff like digging...lol. Friley points are quite common in NW Louisiana. I have seen some rather large ones...over 1.5" in length and paper thin. I have a few good ones in my collection, but most have a missing ear, base or tip due to the fragility of the point type. Another point that is common here is the Evans. They have a deep notch in each side...also some variants are what I would classify winged. Don't have one here at work to scan for you but you can easily find a photo on the net. The newer Overstreet guide has some photos of nice ones. The majority of them you find here are rather crudely made however. The vast array of point types is a testament to the artistry and ingenuity of our indigenous peoples.

Atlantis

dishinet

Jun 18, 2006
Mississippi
I can honestly say that i have never seen one of those. They are "odd", but very interesting. Atlantis, Thanks for sharing. Looking foward to your next finds.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions