Frileys from Texas.

*Molly*

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2008
England.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought you would like to see some Frileys (Caddoan). I find these fascinating, also the history too, these were found on the 'Trail of Tears' in Franklin Co,Texas.
The first Friley 'Classic' is perfect, Fourche/Maline - Early Caddoan 700AD-1100AD.
The second Friley I darkened this so you could see its silver, Manning fused glass, same period.
The third, well I thought you would like to see this 'War arrow' if i'm not mistaken a 'Agee' same period.
And lastly a 'Heartbreaker' Friley

Neat aren't they.. :)

Molly.

Attachments

• Frileys Classic.-tx.jpg
    Frileys Classic.-tx.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 290
  • manning fused glass.tx.jpg
    manning fused glass.tx.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 310
  • war arrow.\'Agee\'.jpg
    war arrow.\'Agee\'.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 300
  • Friley-tx..jpg
    Friley-tx..jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 295
Upvote 0
OP
OP
*Molly*

*Molly*

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2008
England.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thankyou Bobby, Rocky they are my favourites too, glad you liked them, something different.

Molly. :)

A

Atlantis0077

Morning,

Frileys are nice points and hard to find in a perfect state. Normally they are quite thin and well made. I have a friend that dug one up with me that is almost two inches long and looks more like an Agee only with forward turned tines. Wish I had a photo of that point....perhaps I can get him to pull it out into the light again...lol

Was wondering where you found your information about Friley points being "war" points? In general Caddos that made them here were not warring Indians, and that point type pre-dates anglo contact. You find many Frileys in the Toledo Bend area of Northwest LA and East TX. They are quite specialized for small animals and game. My friend found his in a midden area. It was the only point found in quite a large spot and we figured it was lodged in an animal which had been killed and processed in this midden. Fun to speculate.

I have some Frileys...a few perfect and a few more I would love to have found perfect...lol That pic shows some stuff I found a while back... It has 3 broken friley points in it. The second photo is a Friley I dug, also from midden. It is missing the complete tine on one side and most on the other....Check out the tip. Wicked little point.

BTW Welcome to the forum Molly. Good to have you here.

Happy Hunting,

Atlantis

Attachments

• pottery2 001.jpg
    pottery2 001.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 242
  • friley01.jpg
    friley01.jpg
    5.1 KB · Views: 247
OP
OP
*Molly*

*Molly*

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2008
England.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a friend that has Caddoan ancestry, they made Frileys for war fare, the barbs were designed to break off in the enemy, causing infection,leading to a slow death, I also have Caddoan pottery with what they referred to as "Death" designs on them. My friend tells me the Caddoans lived for war,they also liked to paint their faces red,before going to war., He is very knowledgable about his ancesters. So I would say my information is very acurate. I'll have to see if he will allow me to post old photos of his Caddoan relatives.
Thankyou for welcoming me.

Molly.

A

Atlantis0077

Hey Molly,

Wouldn't want to argue with your friend. I suggest you check out this link which gives some good information on the different phases of Caddo Culture. The true Caddo culture started around 1000 ad. The indians that made the Friley point could be called very early Caddo, but it would be more precise to call them Troyville/Coles Creek. We have little information on early history of the Caddo, but it appears that conflicts increased after European contact centuries later.

I would love to see some photos of your pottery. Caddo wares are among the prettiest in the Americas.

http://www.texasbeyondhistory.net/tejas/fundamentals/timeline.html

This is a great site for history in general and Caddo in particular. I think you will enjoy giving it a look.

Happy Hunting,

Atlantis

Attachments

• pottery 009.jpg
    pottery 009.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 245
  • pottery 009.jpg
    pottery 009.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 251
Hello, all...Hi Molly ;D. As far as Caddoans not being "War Like", that depends on just who you were and when you may have come into contact with them. As far as Anglo Whites in Arkansas and Louisiana....not much problem. In Texas, however, they were known to often be in the company of raiding Comanche, who they became allied with against the Osage. The De Soto expedition had a terrible time in Caddo country. The Kadohadcho confederation wasn't too keen on the Spanish missionary folk either. The Hasinai (Tejas) laughed at the Spanish friers and soldiers when it was suggested they give up fighting and let the "soldiers of the church" handle it.
Friley points are made to break in an enemy. That is the reason those barbs were made so. The possible reason that you found them in a hearth area is this...at one time, they Ate our enemies as a way to insult them. A way of sayin somehow that "you are subhuman". True, Friley dates way back to Coles Creek/Troyville times, but it is definate that they were the early Caddoan whom the Modern Pawnee, Caddo, Wichita, Arikara, Kitsai are all descended.
I could go on and on about the evidence of war here. The Caddoans around here seemed to even fight one another from time to time, as evidenced in a skull with two Talco points protruding from one temple for instance,(found near Pittsburg, TX) or the human skulls found to have been used as "house decor" in this area.
BTW, those are some sweeet Louisiana frileys. Love that lil orange one.
Hope this clears up some common misconceptions about Caddoans and warfare though. Just think about it. If they weren't feared by neighbors, how could they have kept such a productive territory for themselves for so long?

OP
OP
*Molly*

*Molly*

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2008
England.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thankyou JR, I couldn't have worded it better ;)
Thankyou Jimmy.
I hope everyone enjoyed this Thread.

Molly. :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread