Frisco Texas - new from Chicago. Locations to MD in Collin or Denton County?

Jimmerpro

Tenderfoot
Jun 18, 2012
Frisco, TX
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi! I've been in Frisco Texas for over a year now. My family moved from Chicago; we had a lot of old parks and such to MD at there.
I have the itch to start metal detecting and I'm not sure where to start here in North Texas. Collin and Denton county would be very close for me.
Could someone give me some "starter" locations I can go with my 3rd grader?
Also, could someone give me some "challenging" locations I can check out? Anything. I love history. A ghost town/building would be awesome. No fear. :piratehand:
Thanks!
Jimmerpro

foolsgoldtx

May 5, 2010
tons of old homesteads in the area, all you have to do is drive around to see them, particularly northern frisco
there is a great historical society in both frisco and mckinney that would be good people to talk to

over off legacy, just west of the toll road, across from the fire dept is an abandoned one, never have searched it, but its pretty discreet once you get back there...
pretty easy to find land owners in the collin county area, via the collincad.org site, just type in address, and it will give you the owner name and mailing address
good luck!

foolsgoldtx

May 5, 2010
no problem, glad to help
there is another up off rockhill road, its on the north side, just east of coit rd, old farmhouse that i have been wanting to get into for some time, actually did a lot of dove hunting around there in the past
the bad thing is that its owned by DR horton, and has posted signs all over it, they are pretty hard on trespassers

let us know if you get a chance to get on some of these, would be curious to see whats out there!

GhostlyDesigns

Greenie
Aug 14, 2011
north Texas
Detector(s) used
Whites - Prizm 6T and ancient CoinMaster
Primary Interest:
Other
Since Frisco is right on the old Shawnee trail (also known as the Texas road), one of the oldest north south cattle trails in Texas (established before the Chisholm trail) odds of finding relics in the area is fairly good. This is the same route many settlers took coming to Texas. The primary route is along what is now Preston road, and it ran up between Coffee's trading post up near Preston Bend on the Red River and Colbert's ferry. Now Coffee often had problems with the natives, not so much with attacks but with the feds for selling liquor to them. I've heard and read where the natives would gather around the trading post and gamble or play a game where as a group they would toss their coins over the building then run to the other side and try to gather as many coins as possible, once one of them had enough for a bottle he would quit the game. I'm told they would then play a game called drink and sniff, the winner got to drink and the losers got to sniff the empty bottle.

OP
OP
Jimmerpro

Jimmerpro

Tenderfoot
Jun 18, 2012
Frisco, TX
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ghost. Very interesting info. I have heard of a friendly tribe in these parts. They say near creeks are the best spots to search for relics. This weekend I am going to an area near Preston road and Panther Creek. In the mid1800s there were white settlements in that area. Found one spot on google maps that looks interesting
. I will start checking for spots on north where that trail went through. Thanks Jim

Jul 3, 2012
Yucaipa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I lived in McKinney for awhile. There's an older section of town that might be worth checking. I'd also hit up all the lakes in the area. Plenty of shoreline as well.

foolsgoldtx

May 5, 2010
lots of shoreline for sure! Mckinney does have a rich history, and unfortunately like most of dfw, a large part of it's thoroughly preserved in concrete now!

on another note but kinda the same, jimmerpro, i was out by panther creek and 289 the other day, and saw some heavy equipment working in the area
they call it progress....not sure if i agree

OP
OP
Jimmerpro

Jimmerpro

Tenderfoot
Jun 18, 2012
Frisco, TX
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all. I haven't had a chance to work an area near Panther Creak yet. Tried a couple of the oldest parks in Frisco. Just not too old pennies so far but I have hope and will try these again. I would never try a cemetery but there is suppose to be an area near Bethel cemetery in Frisco that had an annual two week brush arbor revival back in the late 1800s. The non-cemetary area around there looks accessible but I am not sure where the camp ground is yet. There was an arbor constructed in1874 but so far no obvious remains of it. Anyone know more?

foolsgoldtx

May 5, 2010
i couldnt tell you on that
have you been to the frisco historical society yet?
that is where i would head, they have a pretty good one

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread