Silver Member
Feb 4, 2012
Prather CA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Other
Dear Friend,

The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service has updated the public engagement schedule regarding the proposals to list and designate critical habitat for the Sierra Nevada yellow-legged frog, the northern distinct population segment of the mountain yellow-legged frog, and the Yosemite toad.

The Service will attend two community forums hosted by Congressman LaMalfa on the proposals. Both forums are scheduled for Wednesday, September 4. The Service will be available to address questions and concerns at these events.

Nevada County Congressional Public Forum​
11 am – 1 pm​
Placer County Congressional Public Forum​
2 – 4 pm​
Nevada County Board of Supervisors Chambers
950 Maidu Ave.
Nevada City, CA 95959
Hearing Room, Dewitt Center
3091 County Center Drive
Auburn, CA 95603

The Service will also hold two public meetings and a public hearing regarding these proposals before the end of 2013. Our plan is to hold public meetings in two California counties where the Service is proposing to designate critical habitat for these species. We are going to hold these meetings after the draft economic analysis for the critical habitat proposal is available to the public that is expected in fall 2013. Written comments will be accepted at these meetings.

The Service plans to hold the public hearing in Sacramento after the draft economic analysis is available. Written and verbal testimony will be accepted at the public hearing.

When they are set, we will announce the dates and times of the meetings, the hearing, and other updates to this issue. Updates, copies of the proposals, critical habitat maps, and other resources are available on our website at:
Public Advisory August 30, 2013

Although the Service cannot hold a meeting in every county identified in these proposals, we will try to attend other events such as regularly scheduled meetings of the County Board of Supervisors. In the meantime, you are welcome to contact us for more information. Our point of contact is Robert Moler, [email protected]; (916) 414-6606.

The Service is working with the U.S. Forest Service, the National Park Service, and the California Department of Fish and Wildlife in managing the public lands for the conservation of these species. We are working together to coordinate outreach for these proposals.

Written testimony from the public regarding these proposals can be submitted during any open comment period. The current open comment period for these proposals closes November 18, 2013. Another comment period will open when the draft economic analysis is available, expected fall 2013.

During open comment periods, comments may be submitted online at the Federal eRulemaking Portal at http://www.regulations.gov. The Docket Number for the proposed listing rule is FWS–R8–ES–2012–0100 and for the proposed critical habitat rule is FWS–R8–ES–2012–0074. Comments can also be sent by U.S. mail to:
Public Comments Processing
FWS–R8–ES–2012–0100 or FWS–R8–ES–2012–0074
Division of Policy and Directives Management
U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service
4401 N. Fairfax Drive, MS 2042-PDM
Arlington, VA 22203

Thank you for your ongoing cooperation with the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service. We will send you further updates as more information becomes available.

Thank You,

[FONT=garamond, serif]********[/FONT] [FONT=garamond, serif]Robert Moler
[/FONT]
[FONT=garamond, serif]Assistant Field Supervisor for External Affairs[/FONT]
[FONT=garamond, serif]Sacramento Fish and Wildlife Office[/FONT]
[FONT=garamond, serif]U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service[/FONT]
[FONT=garamond, serif]Department of Interior[/FONT]
[FONT=garamond, serif][email protected][/FONT]
[FONT=garamond, serif]916.414.6606[/FONT]
[FONT=garamond, serif]Life is Wild[/FONT]​

Upvote 0

2cmorau

Bronze Member
Nov 8, 2010
Camptonville, CA
Detector(s) used
GMT&GM3 Whites MXT Pro, Shadow X5, Fisher 1280, OMG and the TDI
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks Oak
i was getting ready to post this myself
topics of frogs, ideas?
economics?
public lands restricted?

dave wiseman

Jul 23, 2004
Angels Camp,Ca.
Most of the yellow and red legged frogs were wiped out by bullfrogs I believe...it's called evolution,survival of the fittest.Perhaps packs of wolves and grizzly bears should be reinterduced to California!Lets start by letting them loose in the hills of the bay area and San Francisco....oops I forgot they already have packs of wolves and grizzlies in those areas.two legged ones.

Last edited:

Mad Machinist

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2010
Southeast Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
https://docs.google.com/file/d/130k...U7RkWG4Z9FNhwqblIGH2IAncwJEq/edit?usp=sharing

So you all can go armed.

What has happened to the MYLF is the introduction of non-native trout species such as rainbow and brown trout. AND it was the Sierra Club who initiated the stocking programs back in the day to provide angling opportunities for their members.

In areas where the non=native trout have been removed, the MYLF is flourishing. According to a entomologist friend of mine, The NPS did a trout removal program between 2001 and 2004. The populations increased by 10,000%, from 190 in 2001, to 18,800 in 2004.

OP
OP
Oakview2

Oakview2

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2012
Prather CA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Other
Historical records say that in minings darkest days of mining uncontrolled era, the flourished the millions. The ground was so thick with them, you couldn't walk without crushing. The African frogs that the US government imported for medical research carries a virus that has attack wild north american frogs. This known to the government as have identified it and developed a vacine that must be painted on the belly of each frog. THIS IS NOT A QUESTION OF HABITAT,BUT THE FAILED POLICIES OF THE GOVERNMENT AND THE GREEN LOBBY:BangHead::cussing::angry4::angry9::angry9:

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hope we don't 'croak' before we get our rights back........................63bkpkr

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do a lot of reading,much(majority)is of the journals of trappers,cowboys,and miners dating back to the 1700's in Calif......not once have I ever seen mention of any abundance of any frog.These authors were usually very detailed in descriptions of everything they seen and encountered........

OP
OP
Oakview2

Oakview2

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2012
Prather CA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Other
In remember reading about this in the areas of heavy hydraulic minning, where miof llions of yards of dirt were washed away, and also larhge standing pools of water, which was prime areas for large amounts of these frogs to flourish... Wish I could remember where I read it at. Doesn't matter as all these Berkley bioligist and Sierra group bozos could screw up a wet dream:laughing7:

bedrock bubba

Jun 27, 2010
I just got off the horn for an hour with a wildlife biologist that I know. She does not like Mr. LaMalfa because he is a rich rice farmer getting govt. money. But she agrees with us that the scum toads and yellow belly commie toad do not need any protection. She will go to the NC meeting and put in her two cents worth. I told her all about the dredge ban and our war with the eco freaks, but she cannot wrap her brain around it.

She loves amaoeba, pond scum, vernal mosquito mud puddles, wild flowers, and all that nonsense. Its wired into her DNA. She did the enviro report on the sale of the Ruby Mine. Well, she didn't shoot the sale down, so that's all good!

Hard Prospector

Aug 29, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Monster, Sierra Gold Trac, GB2, the Falcon......and just as many drywashers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
https://docs.google.com/file/d/130k...U7RkWG4Z9FNhwqblIGH2IAncwJEq/edit?usp=sharing

So you all can go armed.

What has happened to the MYLF is the introduction of non-native trout species such as rainbow and brown trout. AND it was the Sierra Club who initiated the stocking programs back in the day to provide angling opportunities for their members.

In areas where the non=native trout have been removed, the MYLF is flourishing. According to a entomologist friend of mine, The NPS did a trout removal program between 2001 and 2004. The populations increased by 10,000%, from 190 in 2001, to 18,800 in 2004.
Let's not kick the fisherman in the b*lls, we are all outdoors men here.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...........the "fisherman groups",are some of the main sponsors of this whole deal....against us...they are the ones that have forgot we are all out doors man and they are sleeping with All of our enemies....screw them too!!!

Hard Prospector

Aug 29, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Monster, Sierra Gold Trac, GB2, the Falcon......and just as many drywashers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You cannot label all fishermen in this state(myself included) as the "enemy of prospectors" just because 1 or 2 rouge fishing associations(Trout Unlimited) have hopped into the sack with left leaning politicians and extreme environmental groups. These people want all public land users out; prospectors, hunters, fisherman, off-road enthusiasts etc. and if they can divide and watch us destroy each other in the process its considered an unexpected pleasure by them.

Fullpan

Bronze Member
May 6, 2012
nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just got off the horn for an hour with a wildlife biologist that I know. She does not like Mr. LaMalfa because he is a rich rice farmer getting govt. money. But she agrees with us that the scum toads and yellow belly commie toad do not need any protection. She will go to the NC meeting and put in her two cents worth. I told her all about the dredge ban and our war with the eco freaks, but she cannot wrap her brain around it.

She loves amaoeba, pond scum, vernal mosquito mud puddles, wild flowers, and all that nonsense. Its wired into her DNA. She did the enviro report on the sale of the Ruby Mine. Well, she didn't shoot the sale down, so that's all good!

Ruby mine? - is that the drift mine that overlooks NF Yuba in Sierra county? I remember the sale price was about 5 mil for turnkey?

Fullpan

Bronze Member
May 6, 2012
nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BB - that's funny and sad at the same time (biologist can't wrap her brain around it). Why oh why didn't someone do a utube of modern dredge capturing
98% of mercury back when it was significant timing?

Mad Machinist

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2010
Southeast Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

This wasn't meant to kick anyone in the cookies. It was just a matter of the truth. Mistakes were made in the past and we need to learn from them. There are many lakes in the high Sierra's that are almost impossible to access. If those lakes were cleaned of non-native populations of trout, then the MYLF would have plenty of room to thrive and the rest could be left for fishing. Best of both worlds, so to speak.

My entomologist friend has done extensive research on this frog and has come to the same conclusion I have on this. A "critical habitat" designation is a death sentence for these frogs. Just ask what is left of the Mexican Spotted Owls here after the Wallow Fire.

These owls were successfully used to stop logging here and because of fuel buildup 76 out of 145 known nesting sites were destroyed. And when we take into effect the damage done the Chiricahua Leopard Frog, the Spikedace minnow, the Loach minnow, and a whole host of other plants and animals from the resultant ash and debris flows, and now the unbelievably heavy sediment flows, we actually see that a "critical Habitat" designation is indeed a death sentence due to a constant stream of litigation from the eco freaks.

And the same thing will be done here.

Last edited:

Hard Prospector

Aug 29, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
This wasn't meant to kick anyone in the cookies. It was just a matter of the truth. Mistakes were made in the past and we need to learn from them. There are many lakes in the high Sierra's that are almost impossible to access. If those lakes were cleaned of non-native populations of trout, then the MYLF would have plenty of room to thrive and the rest could be left for fishing. Best of both worlds, so to speak.

My entomologist friend has done extensive research on this frog and has come to the same conclusion I have on this. A "critical habitat" designation is a death sentence for these frogs. Just ask what is left of the Mexican Spotted Owls here after the Wallow Fire.

These owls were successfully used to stop logging here and because of fuel buildup 76 out of 145 known nesting sites were destroyed. And when we take into effect the damage done the Chiricahua Leopard Frog, the Spikedace minnow, the Loach minnow, and a whole host of other plants and animals from the resultant ash and debris flows, and now the unbelievably heavy sediment flows, we actually see that a "critical Habitat" designation is indeed a death sentence due to a constant stream of litigation from the eco freaks.

And the same thing will be done here.
I respect your position on this but nobody knows for sure why the MYLF populations continue to fall. Climate change, pesticides and herbicides drifting up from the central valley agricultural districts into the Sierra Nevada, diseases, fungus , non-native trout or whatever. It just depends on which government entity or university does a "study". Remember, native golden and cutthroat trout swim in many of the same waters up there(and eat the same frogs) as do the non-native brown, brook and rainbows. Perhaps mackinaw trout in lake Tahoe or the planting of rainbow trout in urban/rural lakes could be next so to what end? They will try to stop all prospecting/mining frog or no frog. Extreme environmentalism isn't just a science or lifestyle......its a religion. I don't trust these people and all outdoors men need to look after each others interests.

dave wiseman

Jul 23, 2004
Angels Camp,Ca.
The enviro people all drive vehicles,wear jewellery and use electronics....and where do these metals and fuels come from?...bullcrap hypocrites to say the least..believing in g-d when your in a foxhole getting shelled.

Drawman

Jul 17, 2013
Central Valley
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I thought there was some high elevation lakes they were already doing/already did a fish kill for this exact reason? I know I read that somewhere.......I'll see what I can find
Here are some fishermen who are just as pissed about the whole frog thing........
Login ? High Sierra Topix

Mad Machinist

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2010
Southeast Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Extreme environmentalism isn't just a science or lifestyle......its a religion. I don't trust these people and all outdoors men need to look after each others interests.

You hit the nail right on the head there. The problem is the fact that there are too many on all sides that think their rights outweigh everyone else's.

A lot of the fisherman here want us OHVer's run off this river so they can have it all to themselves. They claim we destroy the fish by driving through the river. Yet these very same fisherman drive their OHV's through the river to reach their favorite spots. Pot meet kettle.

It's the same with the ranchers, the hunters, and just about every other group out there. We all have the right to use the land and nobodies right's outweigh anybody else's.

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
NO, comment We Are Going to Lead HEAVEN TO HUNT TOMMROW WA NOT CALIF OOPS Sorry

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread