From a B-24 crash site sout Italy

Matteo La Boccia

Apr 21, 2007
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here are some fragments from a B-24 crash site in south Italy. Some idea about fragments and some infos about crew? Thanks!

B-24 40236 (376th BG, 513th BS) shot down by Fw. Heinrich Steis in Bf 109G-6 of JG 27/4. near Potenza, Italy Jul 16, 1943.
6 KIA, 4 POW. MACR 184

Fragments:

dvc01335.jpg

dvc01330.jpg

dvc01331.jpg

dvc01332.jpg

dvc01333.jpg

dvc01334.jpg

Upvote 3

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
MR. Willey's address being sent to you via Personal Message.
MR. Indirizzo Willey di essere inviato a voi via Messaggio Privato
I contacted the Museum (actually within 50 miles of my home !!) and await their response.
Ho contattato il Museo (in realtà nel raggio di 50 chilometri dalla mia casa!) E attendere la loro risposta.
Don....

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Matteo,
Jack Willey, Don R. Willey's younger brother received my lettter and called me this afternoon. He restated he does not want any artifact from his brother's plane. He's content to have Don's Purple Heart and Air Medal in a framed wall box. He appreciates our efforts but has politely declined the invitation to receive any items.
Of interest, Jack said Don R. Willey was not suppose to be on that flight; he was not a part of the regular crew and after the crash none of the survivors recognized his name. He had been shot down in another plane, rescued and quickly signed on to the position of "Observer" on this mission at the last moment.
Don.......

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Mateo,
Pilot Hinson, Navigator Greenawalt, Bombardier Prendergast and Waist Gunner Shea are buried at Jefferson Barracks, St. Louis, Missouri. Their remain were buried there on December 9, 1949. (Section 79, Site 382). This morning, a representative of that National Cemetery said they have no 'next of kin' records for any of them. Perhaps 'next of kin' information might appear in a local newspaper article commenting on the burial event--but at this point I'll step aside since none of the artifacts can be directly associated to any particular crew member.
Don......

OP
OP
Matteo La Boccia

Matteo La Boccia

Apr 21, 2007
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dear Don
many thanks for your alway precious work. Please excuse me for delay to answer but I'm having some problem with job.
I'm glad to inform I have contact from a relatives of one of crew!
Hope other people want to know more about this courageous men.
Again thank for everything you can do.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Matteo,
It's a pleasure (call it an honor) to research for these heroes or their next of kin.
On another site, I noticed you found the crash site of another American bomber. Have you identified that crew and have you attempted to find the survivors or next of kin? Let me know if I can be of assistance.
All the best,
Don....
Matteo,
E 'un piacere (lo chiamano un onore) alla ricerca di questi eroi o dei loro parenti stretti.
Su un altro sito, ho notato che hai trovato il luogo dello schianto di un altro bombardiere americano. Avete identificato che l'equipaggio e hai tentato di trovare i sopravvissuti o parenti stretti? Fammi sapere se posso essere di aiuto.
Tutto il meglio,
Don ....

OP
OP
Matteo La Boccia

Matteo La Boccia

Apr 21, 2007
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dear Don
we find 21 crash site of american, german and english aircraft. Please inform me about crash site you referr and I'mm send you informations I have. You can contact me to address of our association [email protected] and visit our site www.1943salerno.it to have some idea about some crash site we find. Again thanks for your support!

Mary Anne Fieux

Tenderfoot
Jul 2, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
My name is Mary Anne Fieux. My mother's name was Cecelia Dzierzynski Fieux. Her maiden name was Dzierzynski and her brother was Edward Dzierzynski. To me he was known as Uncle Eddie! Yes, he is my uncle! I would like to know more about what you found about my Uncle Eddie! My uncle had a total of 4 sisters, all of whom have passed on. My uncle had no children. My Mother told me he was her mom's favorite child. Only boy being the reason, I do not know. Please tell me more! I knew he was shot down over Italy during the war. He was a tail gunner if I remember the stories correctly. I have photographs of my uncle. Please, please tell me more! My mom was the youngest of the 5, and I am the youngest of 3. That means you don't always get to hear history before your loved ones pass away. My Bobci (Polish for grandmother) passed away one week after Eddie did. Truly he was her favorite.

Thank you,
Mary Anne

GaRebel1861

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2011
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see that he hasn't posted in a few months. If you haven't already maybe send him a PM?

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't believe it ... almost 3 years later a response from a relative of airmen , SSgt Dzierzynski .

Hello Mary Anne .. Welcome to T Net ... there will be contact soon .

Last edited:

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Welcome to Treasure Net, Mary Anne

Here is a report of the incident with several references to your uncle. I enjoyed doing some of the research, and especially am pleased that one of "Uncle Eddie's" relatives has responded to this Forum.

https://camp59survivors.wordpress.com/2013/04/07/b-24-bomber-fyrtle-myrtle-discovered/
Don.....

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Here's portions of a letter "Eddy" wrote on January 22.1945:
1-22-45 [January 22, 1945]
Hello All:
We were dive bombed by a Jerry and put on fire then it must have blown up. Kile and I were stuck in the tail. I was blown out of the ship but somehow my parachute opened as I’m sure I didn’t open it because I passed out from lack of Oxygen, when I came to I was in a dried up river bed in Italy. I must have hit the ground pretty hard as my ankles were pretty beat up and I couldn’t walk as my left leg was bleeding too much from a wound.
One night we managed to break out of the prison camp and hid in the mountains for 9 mo. so last June took a chance to get through the Jerry lines, we made it as I am here at home now.
I got a medical discharge Oct. 14 and have been home since.
I’ll say so long for now wishing you the best of everything – hoping to hear from you again.
As ever
Eddy.
Source: https://camp59survivors.wordpress.com/2014/06/22/patrick-f-shea-a-tribute/
Don......

Mary Anne Fieux

Tenderfoot
Jul 2, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
Don & Matteo and all,

Thank you all so much for the work you do! I was 8 years old when my Uncle Eddy died ( I used Eddie, I didn't know he used Eddy!) I sent Matteo a photo of my Uncle on a sofa in New Britain, CT. I have uploaded the photo for all to see. Note the newspaper on the table. It reads New Britain and the headline is about the Nazi's retreating. The photo in the background is my mother, Eddy's sister, who was a Navy Wave.

Uncle Eddie Dzierzynski on sofa.jpg

More to come!

Mary Anne

Mary Anne Fieux

Tenderfoot
Jul 2, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
Found this photo of my Uncle in his uniform. He was so young. I hope this helps everyone who has done such hard work finding the wreckage to be able to see one of the men who survived.

My family never shared this story with me, or it could be my Uncle never shared the whole story with the family. Your work makes me feel so blessed for an Uncle I knew for such a short time, but always loved.

Edward T. Dzierzynski in Uniform0001.jpg

Mary Anne

Last edited:

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great and handsome photo Mary Anne--thanks for sharing! After reading the whole story here I kind of feel like I know your uncle a bit :thumbsup:

Mary Anne Fieux

Tenderfoot
Jul 2, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
This is my Uncle's wedding photo. Funny thing is, somehow I thought he divorced his first wife and then married Pauline. Divorce was such a scandal back in that day and the Polish like many in that time kept quiet about a divorce. So, if my memory serves me right, this is not Pauline, who I did know, but it is his first wife, who I did not know. This would be another mystery to solve. However, this is true, the photo is my Uncle's wedding, and my mother, his sister Cecelia, is sitting on the right side of the photo.

Edward T. Dzierzynski's wedding photo0001.jpg

Mary Anne

Last edited:

Mary Anne Fieux

Tenderfoot
Jul 2, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
Erik,

Thank you for your kind words!

Mary Anne

PS: I was born on Long Island, NY, but basically grew up in NJ! Now a PA girl. Jersey sand will always be in my shoes!

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Erik,

Thank you for your kind words!

Mary Anne

PS: I was born on Long Island, NY, but basically grew up in NJ! Now a PA girl. Jersey sand will always be in my shoes!

You're welcome Mary Anne! You've been very gracious in sharing these beautiful photos which really add a lot of dimension to the story. Your uncle Eddie was obviously a brave man. My parents and uncles (including an Uncle Eddie too!) and aunts were also from this great generation.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread