Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, yesterday was the wearing of the Green. People lined up along 5th Avenue to watch marching bands, dignitaries, and politicians travel up the forty block parade route. For me, it was a day off, and an opportunity to swing the coil at a "New To Our Permit" park. My weapon of choice would be the CTX because we were expecting passing showers.
I remembered this area from when I was a kid. It is located in the Throgs Neck section of The Bronx. The park itself is adjacent to a private community known as Edgewater Park. Prior to 1974, I remember some of this parkland being nothing more than an open lot that some people would use as a dumping ground. Well, the city cleaned up the eyesore and built a recreational area that is fenced in and still has some of the old trees that were there from when I was a youngster.
Of course, the areas around those old trees would be the prime search spots if there was any hope of recovering some silver coins. I found out early in the hunt, that most of the almost 10 acres was fill. I did dig past the fill to recover a few targets that turned out to be trash. (Cans) I was pleasantly surprised when I did manage to pull a Mercury Dime from a hole about 7 or 8 inches deep. The CTX gave me a clear 12 - 45 VDI and a strong signal.
We ended up getting 2 passing showers in the afternoon. I smiled when I noticed raindrops on the screen of my machine. I would have been in a panic if it was the E-trac. It's a nice park but for someone who is focused on trying to find silver, I will try a different park. As always I took a few pictures. On the way home, I also noticed the Empire State Building was lit up a Bright Green .
My finds for the day were: 19q, 23d, 8n, 15 memorials, a 1944 wheat penny, a 1941 mercury Dime, a broken Costume Jewelry bracelet, a piece of Lead that was formed in a ladle, and a bunch of brass.
IMG_3360.JPGIMG_3361.JPGIMG_3365.JPGIMG_3362.JPGIMG_3369.JPG

Upvote 12
Nice pile of coins. Congratulations on pulling a nice mercury dime.

You always find the good where ever you hunt ATW. Congrats on the Merc. :occasion14: I'm hoping to hunt all weekend. Leaving work early to work on permissions.

Love the merc dime. She's in pretty nice shape.

Nice hunt, great pics. Thanks for sharing!

Glad that you were able to get out, and find something. Continued success sir!

That's a great way to spend a day off.

HH, Relic Nut

Looks like you had a nice hunt.
Grats on the silver

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back