snowdogg70

Jun 23, 2011
burlington ontario
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 bounty hunter 2200's garrett at pro 2 garrett pro pointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hi all , im just curious to see what is being found in canada as i am finding very few silver coins as compared to what i see our neighbors below the border get , canada is not as old as the usa and we dont really have any civil war items i do find some older coins and lots of clad ,no gold yet but tons of pull tabs. the closer you are to southern ontario would really interest me alot thanks

Hi Snowdogg, I'm in Kitchener (I'm sure you know where that is). This is my 3rd summer of detecting and even then only part time. I can't hit the fields/parks/homesteads etc like most of the others you'll see in the Todays Finds section due to young kids/schedules/work etc. So I'm only part time until I can focus better LOL.

Your comment of Canada not being as old as our frineds south of the border is only generally true. People were starting to settle around Hamilton and Toronto in the mid 1700's. The neutral Indians were living there for hundreds of years prior to that (if you are interested in hunting flint points/relics etc).

So hitting general parks can be productive, doing some research and finding old homesteads, etc should turn up old coins/relics. Hitting any tot-lot should turn up modern clad etc.

I have done both. Hunting modern parks yeilds a few trinkets, modern coins, and usually a lot of kids following you around and/or weird looks from people. Maybe some old coins (pre 1967 are silver or partially silver if I recall).

Old homesteads have turned up many relics. Nothing valuable, just neat to have and clean up. No silver yet... I'm still trying to break into the 1800's....

In my area along the Grand River I am currently searching for Native points/beads/ etc and the area was traveled by early fur trappers during the 1600's. Finding a trade items, old clay pipes, axe heads whatever is possible.

There's great stuff that is found in Canada, every bit as good as what you see posted on here day to day. Of course it all depends where you are in the country, but that's also the case for the U.S.. There's just MANY more members in States that have some age than Canadians detecting in the earlier settled Provinces.

The Niagara area is no slouch for good finds.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back