Bronze Member
Dec 21, 2009
U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Mad Part:
Today I was able to get off about an hour early so I could go buy supplies for our high school. It was around 2:30. So, I thought I would run to the bank and see if I could pick up some half dollars. This is my first "half dollar" trip. So I go to the counter of my main bank and ask the teller if she had any rolls of half dollars, she said no, but she had about $30.00 in loose coins. I said great, I will take all of them. I proceed to write a check (it's my main bank), and as I am writing the check she tells me a young boy came in this afternoon and exchanged them for bills. I was excited . . . until . . . she had the nerve to tell me she collected silver and had pulled 4 silver coins from the pile. Darn it!
The Glad Part:
Sadly, I go ahead and buy them, knowing I was "skunked." I headed to Walmart to buy supplies. As I am walking down the isle, I hear my name called. It was one of my former AP students (APUSH stands for Advanced Placement United States History--what I taught while I was a teacher). Well, we hug and she is doing great. She was a good, hardworking kid that I pushed hard while she was in high school and it paid off (she is only 21). I notice she is dressed up in a suit; she has a name tag that has a BANK name on it. I find out she is the assistant manager. I tell her I collect half dollars. Her bank is in Walmart. She takes me to the counter. She has $8.00 worth. I buy them, get home, and I have found my first silver! Kennedy:1-1967; 1-1968; 1-1969. You just never know!
apush

Upvote 0

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just like the old saying, keep your tellers close, your friendly tellers closer. (well something like that) :laughing7:

Good score. If she is willing, have her cull all the silver she finds.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
AGCoinHunter said:
Just like the old saying, keep your tellers close, your friendly tellers closer. (well something like that) :laughing7:

Good score. If she is willing, have her cull all the silver she finds.

Congrats, APUSH. Three for the pile. Now, you have your "In". Have her "work" for you by culling the silver and start your order for boxes.

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats a great story Apush , and as others have mentioned , you now have " a spy in the house
of silver ". Argentium.

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Where good deeds are performed daily
Detector(s) used
Garrett Fortune Hunter, White's CoinMaster, Garrett American S3, Compass Coin Magnum and a couple of others you will only find in museums!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good things are coming your way. :wink:

Scott

OP
OP
apush

apush

Bronze Member
Dec 21, 2009
U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the encouragement. I did buy $50.00 of dimes while I was at my bank. Probably should not have. I am now considering my bank to be my "dump " bank and opening an account with my former AP student so at the very least she gets some type of commission. I found 1 Rosie--1957. But I am not complaining in the least. Silver is silver.

I also just started metal detecting. Have an Ace 250. The coin rolling--well, I am thinking it is just as fun--perhaps a bit funner???

apush :read2: (I love FDR--and Rosies) Has a Rosie the Riveter coin every been made? Gotta Love that Gal.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Funner? Well you did say you used to teach AP US History and not English. j/k :laughing7: Anyway, you did well scoring a rosie out of $50. The average is 1-2 out of $250. A really nice box might yield close to 5. If you are really lucky, some mercs or canadian dimes might be found. Keep on the hunt. Also, you might want to reconsider the decision to make your main bank your dump bank. You don't want them dumping you and affecting actual day-to-day banking transactions.

OP
OP
apush

apush

Bronze Member
Dec 21, 2009
U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Okay Diver_Down. I am from Texas--but I should learn how to spell :laughing9:. No excuse. Just a bit peeved that the teller would say such a thing! I would have rather she had said "nada" than said anything at all. But, that is not a problem in the scheme of world "things." Feeding your family, sick children, those are problems. Yeah, I need to practice what I am preaching; that is, I need to stop gripping ;D

I have 2 accounts at my main bank--or right now, my only bank. I just have to figure out all the logistics of coin rolling. How to dump, where to dump. Can't be that difficult. I just have to plot it out. For goodness sakes, I am college educated--even if I am from the South :icon_scratch: Hehehe.
apush

mistergee

Silver Member
Jan 8, 2008
Pennsylvania
I have 2 accounts at my main bank--or right now, my only bank. I just have to figure out all the logistics of coin rolling. How to dump, where to dump. Can't be that difficult. I just have to plot it out. For goodness sakes, I am college educated--even if I am from the South Hehehe.
apush
if you have a GPS in your car, they are very helpfull in finding banks and plotting the fastest route to them. from there try to find one or several that have coin counters in the lobby, you may get lucky and find one that doesn't require an account and doesn't charge a fee. if not open an account and tell them what you are doing and ask if they have a problem with you dumping lots of coin. some do some don't, and some may charge you a fee. your gonna have to do a little homework to see what is best for your particular area and then your on your way. good luck and HH.

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A seperate bank (not branch, bank) for your CRH dumping is strongly encouraged. You can pick up from your main bank, just dont dump on them.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread