Silver Member
Dec 20, 2010
Rhode Island
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 SPECIAL EDITION
Primary Interest:
Other
This is what that copper 10 reis looks like in good condition..
Thats the first time i have seen anyone finding one also...
Do you mind if i ask what state you found it in?

Attachments

• copper reis back.jpg
    copper reis back.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 1,678
  • reis.jpg
    reis.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 1,682
  • reis.jpg
    reis.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 1,694
  • copper reis back.jpg
    copper reis back.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 1,685

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
gwdigger said:
KylePA said:
Killer finds, GW!

What are those threaded screw-like relics in the first pic? I found one last week where I dug a smooth Colonial.

I believe these are pull hooks. Or anchors...

Some modern examples:

http://houseofantiquehardware.com/s.nl/it.A/id.15358/.f

http://www.toyboxland.com/6-1661180...Plated_Brass_Chippendale_Drawer_Pull_by_House

The plain ones may may indeed be drawer pull anchors, but the threaded ones are most certainly the "screws" that held the jaws of the flintlock hammer around the flint and lead or leather wrapper.

The first post, ninth, eleventh, and twelvth photos--those pieces from strap guides. They had a companion piece that was oval with two countersunk holes in it. They were usually attached with an small iron fitting that connected the two pieces. Used in saddle and horse tack. 1700s to early 1800s.

The tenth photo has to be some sort of a mount, rosette, or similar.

The silver item, second post, fourth photo, I'm sure you realize is a one half of a cufflink or sleeve link.

The big brass item with the oval shape is most likely the bottom part of a broken stirrup (check the sides of the ends to see if the metal is broken).

Third set of photos, first photo--these are bucket bail handles from copper or brass cookware. They were riveted to the sides of the pots/kettles, and the bail went through the hole on both sides.

The last few items in the third set of photos are harness mounts from horse tack. Some of the buckles in the photo above those items appear to be 1600s styles.

Best Wishes,

Buckles

CC Hunter

Aug 7, 2004
Timbuktu
Detector(s) used
Magnet on a Stick
The small threaded brass "screw-like" relics are indeed from early Queen Anne and Georgian furniture. Personally, I have recovered countless examples of these items from Colonial home sites. One might note that 55th Mass. is right on the money as well, undoubtedly from years of experience digging relics in one of America's premier Colonial cities. 8)

The items to the left of the brass "screw-like" relics, in the first photo, are in fact gun parts (also called ironically......gun furniture). These brass tubes are the ram-rod guides for holding the wooden ram-rod underneath the stock.

Now, back to our threaded brass pieces. These are called pommels, and they are the fastening device that goes through the fancy backplate (an example of which we may also see in the top left corner of recovered items in photo one). The extend "u" shaped drawer pull bail then fits inside of the small hole that is in the end of these pommels. Two pommels are attached through each backplate, through the face of the wood furniture, and will then suspend one of the drawer pull bail handles.

http://www.brasscastings.co.uk/acatalog/info_06008.html

Due to the strength needed to securely hold the vise-like jaws on flintlock hammers, the top jaw screws are in fact made of steel. Although some 18th and early 19th century arms are indeed fitted with bass hardware and furniture including brass sideplates, to my knowledge, the flintlock top jaw screws were predominately manufactured from steel.

CC Hunter

RELICDUDE07

Bronze Member
Oct 2, 2007
Pascagoula Ms.
Detector(s) used
minelab exp.
Like the rosa piece.It kinda has a 1720s feel! :wink: And the ship spikes-------- very nice!

Attachments

• 1723_rosa_amer_twopence_rev1.jpg
    1723_rosa_amer_twopence_rev1.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 1,408

CC Hunter

Aug 7, 2004
Timbuktu
Detector(s) used
Magnet on a Stick
The "rose within a rose", known as the Tudor Rose, has long been a distinctive British symbol, dating from the reign of the Henry VIII. On occasion, we see the symbol on various Colonial American period recoveries, ranging from buttons and sleeve links, to adornments on leather horse equipment, as well as numerous other pieces.

Anytime one digs an item with the historic Tudor Rose design, makes for a good day! :icon_thumright:

CC Hunter

OP
OP
gwdigger

gwdigger

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
Ocean City, Md
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
johnnyblaze said:
This is what that copper 10 reis looks like in good condition..
Thats the first time i have seen anyone finding one also...
Do you mind if i ask what state you found it in?
This is from delaware. Not the 1st but yours is dang nice.

planejet42

Jan 5, 2011
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW!!! What an nice assortment of finds!

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CRUSADER said:
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,272310.0.html
See discussion & link in the second post, about what I call ring things. The are pretty common here & must have had lots of uses including harness rings. You have many horse leather decorations, so it fits quite well.

The five decorated 'U' shaped objects are thought to be strap guides on horses, have you had the matching oval brass back plates with 2 holes which are the same gap as the 'U' shaped iron points?
It's also believed that these Bronze Rings were the frames for the Dorset Button :read2: scroll down page :thumbsup:

http://silversimon.piczo.com/?g=39870591

SS

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silver Searcher said:
CRUSADER said:
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,272310.0.html
See discussion & link in the second post, about what I call ring things. The are pretty common here & must have had lots of uses including harness rings. You have many horse leather decorations, so it fits quite well.

The five decorated 'U' shaped objects are thought to be strap guides on horses, have you had the matching oval brass back plates with 2 holes which are the same gap as the 'U' shaped iron points?
It's also believed that these Bronze Rings were the frames for the Dorset Button :read2: scroll down page :thumbsup:

http://silversimon.piczo.com/?g=39870591

SS

yeah, I quite like this explaination for some of them, mades a lot of sense :icon_thumright:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread