From the Gauls and Romans to the Merovingians.

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey everyone,
Just came back from a family visit to Europe and wanted to share with you some of the discoveries I've made during the 3 weeks trip abroad.

I was lucky enough to meet a few farmers over there who gave me the permission to explore some of their fields not far from the area I was staying in.
The results were better than I expected, with the relics and coins ranging from the antiquity to the industrial age.
I will make two posts of my finds. One for the antiquity and late antiquity and the other one for the medieval and modern period.

The Gauls

Found a few coins of a Celtic Gallic tribe called Senones - circa 55 B.C. They were famously conquered by Julius Caesar in 51 B.C.
Three of the coins were made of ''potin'' and one of bronze. On this one you can see a Senones warrior on the obverse with the tribe's stallion on the reverse.
14a.JPG 14b.JPG

A different warrior and the bird on the reverse of the bronze coin.
20.jpg 19.jpg
14.JPG

The Romans

Had way less success with Roman finds. Although I have found quiet a few Roman coins, non were in a decent shape. One find worth mentioning was actually on my bucket list and I was really happy to discover it.

A partial Roman bronze key. Looking at this relic, it's hard to believe the complexity of the lock mechanisms they had almost 2000 years ago.
17.jpg 18.jpg

The Merovingians

''The Merovingians were a Salian Frankish dynasty that ruled the Franks for three centuries in a region known as Francia, beginning in the middle of the 5th century. Their territory largely corresponded to ancient Gaul as well as the Roman provinces of Raetia, Germania Superior and the southern part of Germania. The semi legendary Merovech was supposed to have founded the Merovingian dynasty, but it was his famous grandson Clovis I (ruled c. 481–511) who united all of Gaul under Merovingian rule.''

I was extremely privileged to discover some beautiful relics of this period, I find them particularly unique.

A large bronze zoomorphic belt plate in shape of the horse's head. Circa 6th-7th century A.D.
2a.jpg 1.jpg
2.jpg 3.jpg
3a.JPG

An other zoomorphic plate (in shape of an owl?)
10.jpg 11.jpg

An other beautiful bronze plate. I'm wondering if it had an enamel decoration.
8.jpg 9.jpg

One of two Merovingian bronze fibulas I have found. This one has a cross engraved on both sides.
4.jpg 5.jpg

A silver plated ''scutiform'' (in the shape of a shield) belt decoration.
6.jpg 7.jpg

The oldest button I've ever found. Again 6-7th century A.D. (Still can't believe I got the second half as well).
13.jpg

And a few buckles of the same period
12.jpg

15.JPG

Thanks for the comments. I will try to make an other post with medieval and later period finds in a few days.

Last edited:
Upvote 35

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whoa man those are some incredible recoveries!!!! That key is amazing and those bronze plates are amazing as well. Fantastic post! You really one upped our friend Steverino lol

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Merowingian is rare and a pleasure to find. You got a whole bunch of these stuff. Big congrats! Oh, the celtic coins are great too! :icon_thumleft:

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very Nice!!! Congrats!!!

OP
OP
Aureus

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Whoa man those are some incredible recoveries!!!! That key is amazing and those bronze plates are amazing as well. Fantastic post! You really one upped our friend Steverino lol

Thanks man. I was really lucky to make those finds. All of the Merovingian relics were dug in 2 days, so I had a busy week end.
P.S. I believe our friend Steverino did great. I would be super excited finding his coins in relics in Canada.

OP
OP
Aureus

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Merowingian is rare and a pleasure to find. You got a whole bunch of these stuff. Big congrats! Oh, the celtic coins are great too! :icon_thumleft:

Thanks Westfront.
Never though I would manage to discover a Merovingian relic as I knew finds from that period were rare. To find so many of them was simply amazing.

Last edited:

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
You had many blessings bestowed upon you from the relic gods. That, and you have quite a talent for sniffing out good spots. What I really appreciate about your posts is the care you take cleaning, researching, and presenting. Not only do we all end up more educated, I rest well knowing those relics are in good hands. Congrats again bud!!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Outstanding old relic recoveries! :notworthy:

Al.relics

Jan 28, 2019
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max, Nox 800, Whites DFX e series
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice supper old relics!! Congrats.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeap, all really great finds. Kent was the only place that produced Potin's and none of the ones I have found had such great images as yours - NICE!

tanz 82

Mar 16, 2012
N.mass- S.nh
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Outstanding!!!! Thank you so much for the background on the finds as well ! I learned something today

OP
OP
Aureus

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You had many blessings bestowed upon you from the relic gods. That, and you have quite a talent for sniffing out good spots. What I really appreciate about your posts is the care you take cleaning, researching, and presenting. Not only do we all end up more educated, I rest well knowing those relics are in good hands. Congrats again bud!!

Thanks man. I really feel privileged to discover all these early finds on a such a short trip. The Merovingians weren't even on my list, finding a few nice relics of that period was a huge surprise.

RVRoamer73

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2016
Georgia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 Nox 800
Stealth 720i ,RTG 6"
Lesche GS 36
Predator Raptor
TRX pp
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you're lucky enough to go to Europe for 3 weeks to detect some, your lucky enough. Very nice finds Aureus. Congrats!

Last edited:

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeap, all really great finds. Kent was the only place that produced Potin's and none of the ones I have found had such great images as yours - NICE!

Was thinking the same, never seen potin coins in that condition.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Great finds !
First coin: OBVERSE:
Stylized head right, six strands of hair.

REVERSE:
Stylized Horse left, pellets to left and below.

A great example of Monnaies II # 278 and De La Tour 7417.
Don....

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I dunno, they kind of look banner type stuff to me

Top Member Reactions