From the Past--Street Repair Silver

Dimeman

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
Houston,TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Fisher F5
I had seen the workers start digging up the center section of the esplanade so they could put curbing around it and put fill dirt to raise it above the street level. This section of the road was a little over a mile long and would take a few months to detect it all....at least.
I visited the forman and told him that my hobby was detecting. I asked him if I promised to keep out of the way of any equipment and workers, could I detect the areas they were going to fix. He said it was no problem as long as I stayed out of the way. As I was out of a job at the time, it was perfect to detect almost every day, until I got tired. They finished the job before I was finished with all the area.....and I imagine there are quite a few more old coins in the grass areas in the sections I hunted and more in the sections I didn't get to hunt...only..... about 3 inches deeper.

I had found many silver quarters, halfs, dimes, old wheat pennies and old nickels, as this area was used as parking for a good sized park along this street. Finding some newer coins also, but this "parking area" was mostly used up until the late 70's and had had lots of use.

As I had found lots more than this, most went into coin collecting folders, and many coins were traded for others to fill the empty spots in the folders. Some of the rest I just put in this nice old jar as a great display.

Attachments

• jar.JPG
    jar.JPG
    68.2 KB · Views: 1,480
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Dimeman

Dimeman

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
Houston,TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Fisher F5
This was detected in the late 1970's.......lots more silver was IN the ground back then......it is NOW in my jar.. :D :D

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your not dimeman your fity centman impressive 8) AA

bucketofguts

Jul 2, 2007
N.C.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT and Garrett Seahunter mark 2. Treasure Mate pinpointerer
i,m going out right now to hunt the sidwalk being built down the street! nice post. thanks for taking the time!

Jack(IN)

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS-2, Garrett Ace 250
Those were the good days...I started in 1983 and VERY seldom did you see another person detecting. Lots of silver, buttons, and other goodies were everywhere, or so it seemed!! Great story!!

OP
OP
Dimeman

Dimeman

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
Houston,TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Fisher F5
Jack(IN) said:
Those were the good days...I started in 1983 and VERY seldom did you see another person detecting. Lots of silver, buttons, and other goodies were everywhere, or so it seemed!! Great story!!

It was much better in the 70's........ lots of silver was found and clad was very scarce. :)( newer and not many lost)....today lots of clad is found and silver is scarce( deep in the ground)..... :(

Postalrevnant

Silver Member
Jul 5, 2006
Mountains
Sidewalks have definately been very kind to you. I have been keeping my eyes open for sidewalk tearups. So far no one has been doing it in the cities near me, but man do they ever need it. Perhaps they will get the money soon to start redoing the sidewalks. With a bit of luck perhaps they will start and keep it up over a long period of time redoing many or most of the city sidewalks.

Anyways, congratulations, that is one sweet pile of great finds.

Postalrevnant

OP
OP
Dimeman

Dimeman

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
Houston,TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Fisher F5
Fish-Gate said:
Very cool old timer (I mean dimer)... ;)
CarolinaDigs said:
Great digs ;D
Thanks, and it was the center median,(esplanade) between the 2 lanes on each side of the street not the sidewalk. It had been used as parking, for the park,since there was no curb on the middle sections. The grass area was the same height as the street and the city decided to put curbing on it, raising the ground level 3 inches. The park is almost a mile in length and runs along the street.It was great hunting the area and getting all the older coins. ;D
There are some sections that I never got to detect before they finished, and some old coins are probably still there, just covered up in another 3 inches of dirt. I may have to go search some of those areas again. :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread