From virtual adventuring to the real thing!

Thorndog

Oct 24, 2006
Yuma, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver umax
Hello everyone!

Well, I guess I'll begin with a little story about how I even came to this point of writing this post, and as far as I can tell from all of the wonderful things I've read all throughout the forums, lots of you, (including me), love stories! :) So here goes:

When I was a young teenager I received a metal detector for Christmas. The only thing I remember about it was that is was from Radio Shack and it was orange! It didn't matter to me, I was enthralled with it and swung my little heart out. I just loved the thrill of the hunt. Well, as I grew older and time became scarce (school, jobs, girls :P) I pretty much forgot all about my love of metal detecting. I joined the Marine Corps in 1986 and have lived quite a grand adventure for just over 20 years now, and will be retiring very soon. Anyway, for the past year and a half I had become addicted to a computer game called World of Warcraft. I loved the adventure of it all but found that I was truly missing out on "real life". Namely my wife, 3 daughters and the lovely Yuma, Arizona sun. Well, on my very own, I finally slapped some sense back into my thick skull and quit playing that life sucker of a game forever, and boy am I HAPPY I did that! I was missing out on so much. BUT, that hobby void needing some filling. I was very careful this time to choose a hobby that I, AND my family could enjoy. Then metal detecting came back to me like a crashing ocean wave. I became re-excited immediately! So the internet research began. I also called my Father in Gold Canyon, Arizona and told him about it, and he got just as excited as I did! I didn't have a very big budget but I am quite happy with what I settled on purchasing: A Tesoro Silver umax. I've had it about a week now and I love it! I've only been able to hunt in my own backyard so far, (work stuff) but I've found lots of nails, tubing scraps, and basic home construction items, but it doesn't matter, it's treasure to me! But most of all my wife and daughters are as excited as I am! It's so great to have this fire rekindled in me, and to have my family so deeply (no pun intended :P) involved as well. We are now researching Yuma's history, local laws, as well as collecting lists of all the city parks, schools, recreational facilities, etc... and of course since I'm in the Marines, I have the base to explore as well! We are very excited, and I'm personally grateful that there's such a great community of people here to share these experiences with, and I haven't even found a penny yet! lol Well, I just want to give a hearty HELLO out there to all of you and I look forward to becoming a closer part of this fine community! Thanks all!

Semper Fi,

Thorndog

Blind.In.Texas

Bronze Member
Sep 1, 2006
Lone Star State
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OO-rah, Thorndog! Welcome to the forum and the hobby(again!) I think you will truly find some neat stuff with that machine. I wish my family would get interested in it too. Glad to see you all have something to do together as a family. GL and HH

Laater...

MikeOregon

Nov 26, 2005
Detector(s) used
White's V3
Thanks for the great post. And thank you for your service to the good old USA!

Mike in Oregon

buscadero

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Corpus Christi, Tx.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
T-Dog: Welcome to TN! You will never regret enlisting here! Since it's been a few years, I hope this is still up to date: It used to be
worth MD up at the "Potholes!" (up S26 between The Dam & Imperial Oasis) I found a few Gold Nuggets there. Then there were
the Dunes outside of Town. They must have did Manuvers there during WW2. I used to find all kinds of Military Stuff! Tho maybe
you've seen enough of that.
Well, Good Luck & HH!

Joe

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
Thorndog,

Welcome aboard. This is by far the greatest site on the net for metal detecting/treasure hunting. A good friend of mine has the Silver Micromax and he loves it. He says it is a great little machine. Glad you came back to the hobby.

Thank you for your service to our country.

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i saw a thing on the net
some kid in the UK palys sometimes for 20 hours on weekdays
he doesnt leave his house except to go to school
i did the puter game thing also
now i try it for a few hours now and then then its like old hat(boring)
good choice
good luck ;)
soon you shall be addicted to this :-\
by the way check out the south park episode with the world of warcraft LMAO :D

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Welcome to Treasurenet. You will never regret getting your children involved in this hobby...there is so much for them...from thehistory and research to the adventures and time spent out in nature! Glad to see you have your entire family involved.
Looking forward to your finds and remember we like pics!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread