Front yard find identity help

sweetmimzim3

May 16, 2011
Webster Co. Missouri
I found this in my yard this morning. It is very smooth on first picture and rougher everywhere else. It is very heavy for its size. artifactfrontyard3.jpgartifactfrontyard2.jpgartifactfrontyard.jpg

Upvote 0
Appears to be a Grinding Stone.

It appears to be a quartzite cobble that was used as a tool. Is there a dent on one side?

Not sure what you mean by dent, so I will add some more pics at different angles

Attachments

• frontyardfind.jpg
    frontyardfind.jpg
    204.3 KB · Views: 93
  • frontyardfind2.jpg
    frontyardfind2.jpg
    246 KB · Views: 97
  • frontyardfind3.jpg
    frontyardfind3.jpg
    248 KB · Views: 73
  • frontyardfind4.jpg
    frontyardfind4.jpg
    174.6 KB · Views: 89
  • frontyardfind5.jpg
    frontyardfind5.jpg
    201.3 KB · Views: 76
  • frontyardfind6.jpg
    frontyardfind6.jpg
    220 KB · Views: 77
  • frontyardfind7.jpg
    frontyardfind7.jpg
    196.8 KB · Views: 77
Looks like it was on its way to be a Discoidal. Some might disagree but we will see.

It does have seem to me to be an unfinished piece, all sides were worked but only one side was completely smooth. The other sides were only smooth here and there. I have found quite a bit of items in my yard. If this piece is unfinished then what is the likelyhood of finding a grinding bowl nearby? If this stone has a partner stone what would it look like? I live in Central Missouri, so Osage Indians.

Here are my old field finds that are a different shape. That's why I was asking about this new find, because of the different shape.

Attachments

• oldfieldfinds.jpg
    oldfieldfinds.jpg
    259.5 KB · Views: 80
Looks like a mano to me due to the grinding side being smooth and every other side being rough JMO Nice find:thumbsup:

It may be a mano, but due to the moderate use on the sides I am going to suggest that it was used as a hammer stone. jmo! (iima!)

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back