Frozen and Blue

Silver Simon

Mar 17, 2013
Coldwater Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As I stare out my window at the lifeless Michigan tundra that is my backyard, I feel this burning deep inside. I begin to reflect on the past season and keep asking myself why I did not get out at every chance, to hunt for the lost history that lies beneath. The warm sun shining on my face, the wind in my hair and the symphony of a bird's song mixed with the sweet high tones emitting from my detector all combine to create this euphoric sensation; there are few things better. But alas, every glance at the weekly forecast brings a sense of fear and loathing, that perhaps there is no end to this dark winter.

Yet even the most treacherous storm clouds have their silver lining. This time has allowed me to "dig" deep into my research, and locate several lands that time has forgot, with the hopes that I may be the one to uncover its secrets. To my frozen friends, fear not, for our time will come. And when it does come, let us cherish every moment we are given with fortitude and resolve.

And finally, to those of you who reside in areas that are immune to this curse, I hope you treasure every inch that your shovel sinks into the soil.

Upvote 0

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equnox 800... 2 Garrett Pro Pointers, Lesche, and an 18" mini-T- handle and a 31 inch Samson digging tools
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have the same scene out my window, and have researched, my research, and spent the last 2 months, getting aquainted with my new Etrac, and reading and re-reading Andy Sabbish's book, it's time to do it!!!.................................I forgot.............-10 this morning, lots of snow, with more coming Please be Spring!!

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If Michigan weather is like Minnesota's, there is some potential that we will see bare unthawed ground within the next 30 days. By mid April, it is really likely that we will get our first hunts in. I like land hunting in the 40's and 50's best because no bugs or ticks yet, and soft squishy ground to dig. Fingers crossed we get a couple months of that.

relicmeister

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2012
Poconos, Nw.NJ & Delaware Valley
Detector(s) used
XP Orx Deus II, 9” coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
well-spoken, Silver Simon. I've passed the winter by making modified shovels and toll/pouch belts from cheap handbags at the goodwill store, but I am out of projects
and it's still arctic here. The shift to mild weather is usually swift once it starts though. I too, plan to make the most of it when it comes. Hang in there

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welp.. just so you know...
When I am at the beach and I am very cold from the wind etc...
I think of you northerners quite a bit...
And I am warm again... and feel fortunate that I am able to dig bottle caps and pull tabs...
for I know you guys would rather dig those than nothing at all.

goldkey

May 21, 2013
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta/Macro Anfibio Multi / Nokta Fors Core /Ace 250 - w/ 9"x12" Coil /
Whites TRX Bullseye
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As I stare out at the beach and look far beyond that which is the vast ocean that lies beyond me, which is my great and wonderful swimming pool, I have this great yearning to put on diving gear and roam the foamy waters
for long lost hidden treasures of the deep. But then I realize....I'm terribly afraid of sharks! I dare even to approach the surf more than ankle deep. Cause I know that JAWS lies right there under that wave....waiting to pounce on me and devour me as soon as
he senses the oil from my sun baked skin. Alas....so much gold awaits thee.....yet here I am sand bound by the fear of the fate that could take me and drag me off to the deep. Others have ventured out as far as chest deep and I have heard of their
terrible ordeals as they have been approached by JAWS. One story I remember well....He was swinging a detector in the surf and JAWS approached him as he was unaware until the last moment and he cried out "I know I screamed like a little girl"!!!!
Oh the horror that must have passed through the very depths of his soul. To scream like a little girl....this will haunt him for the rest of his days. One day I shall gather the courage and get my CZ-20 wet.

OP
OP
Silver Simon

Silver Simon

Mar 17, 2013
Coldwater Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
But then I realize....I'm terribly afraid of sharks!

I am with you, my friend. The sea fascinates me, but in a terrifying way. As a child, my first memory of the ocean was wading fairly deep. I felt a brush against my shoulder, and realized a swarm of jellyfish were everywhere around me. I panicked, racing to shore screaming. Since then, I have yet to go beyond waist deep, and I am quite fine with that. If I happen to encounter Jaws at that depth, I will certainly re-evaluate my limit.

Lori999

Oct 15, 2012
Northeast Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm a scuba diver and I have to tell you that the beauty and wonder you experience at the bottom of the ocean overcomes any feelings of fear, at least for me. It is too hard to even describe the feeling of awe you get : ). It's truly magical!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread