SilverSleuth

SilverSleuth

Oct 5, 2007
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks. The thread answers all my questions except one.

Is it possible to hunt throughout the winter in the Northeast at the BEACHES? Does the salt water keep some stretch of the beach unfrozen? Dry sand area freezes pretty solid if I remember right.

Green1

Silver Member
Mar 20, 2006
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Mxt 6x10 coil Massachusetts
i'm up in hanover mass. .. last year i was able to hunt in the woods all year long,,
no real snow to speak of..i'd say the beach sand won't freeze to the undiggable point until feb at best......

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you live somewhere were there are alot of woods with a good leaf litter you can still hunt it with no problems. The ground is still diggable under the litter.

The Buzzard King

Mar 29, 2005
N.E.P.A.
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-5, Fisher 1280-X
I was able to hunt in the woods last winter, here in PA., when there wasn't too much snow on the ground. I think it depends on the individual area, and how much water is retained in the soil you're trying to hunt.
Already, just this December, I've tried to hunt in areas that I could dig in, and areas where the ground was frozen like concrete.
I noticed that I could still dig in the wooded areas on hillsides or hilltops, cause I guess they're areas that the moisture can actually flow out of on warmer days. But lower lying areas, that hold the water in the soil more, were frozen rock solid. You'd break your foot before you could dig a hole.
Oh, another stupid thing I've tried before, was carrying gallon jugs of HOT water in the car with me, and if I got a good signal, I'd pour hot water where I was gonna dig a plug. Of course I'd REALLY have to LIKE the signal before I wasted the hot water!
TRUST ME, this was a waste of time! It doesn't work like I hoped.
Of course if there's just too much snow on the ground, you wont get any depth.
And now we're supposed to be getting ANOTHER snow storm here tonight. :-\

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread