Frozen ground Hunting :(

imafishingnutt

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2007
Superior Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Tesoro, Whites DFX, Nokta Impact Pro, Ace 400.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• cry.png
    cry.png
    23.5 KB · Views: 125

fliermartin

Sep 11, 2014
southeast wisconsin
Detector(s) used
ATgold and Minelab Explorer II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I feel your pain I went out saturday, because I did a test in my yard and I could get the digger in the soil but if my search area wasn't in full sun I was having trouble. Woke up to snow on sunday highs of 20 and single digit lows I may have dug my last hole of 2014.

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We got 'bout 5in of wet snow last eve. Kinda early here?
Last winter, I purchased an F70. As the snow combined w frigid temps lingered, I got restless and went detecting. I visited spots I thought ground finds would be prevalent.
I had success detecting the perimeter of park basketball courts. Some of the grass surrounding these courts were left uncut. This enabled easy "pickens", in negative temps. Mass clad and even a small 10k earring were discovered.
Stay warm and keep detecting in winter.
Peace

K1DDO1979

Silver Member
Feb 8, 2014
Peggy's Cove, Nova Scotia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Fisher F75 Ltd SE 2 & Fisher F2 with 11"DD
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I hunt year round and I'm in Nova Scotia so winter hits hard. Unless it gets mild enough I avoid any yard or persons property that will make any unsightly damage in the winter. I focus on spots that's usually grown in most of the year except for winter and early spring. I hunt wooded areas a lot because in most cases the ground stays a lot softer through out winter. Maybe because the woods is more insulated with leaves and needles and not as compressed like yard/field soil. Also if there is snow it's usually pretty bare ground under the trees. When I hunt in the winter a hatchet is my best friend. Especially in fields or yards if your lucky to be able to do them without worrying about any damage. I go for deeper signals so if the ground is not completely like concrete it is usually only frozen a few inches so I hatchet a square shape and you can feel when the hatchet goes through the frozen layer into the soft soil underneath. I pop out the square and find the target as usual. When you refill your hole the frozen square should fit perfectly back in place on top like a puzzle piece. It's not perfect but it works well and very minimal damage but you can see the outline of your square and it will be there till spring so make sure you have permission if it's someone's property. Some of my best finds came from winter time so don't let it stop you from going! :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread