Frozen Silver and Gold..

MuckyBottles

Bronze Member
Jun 19, 2013
Bone Valley, Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So my machines are in winter hibernation...but that doesn't stop me from hunting..I was fed some information about a beach that I frequent with my machine. The person who told me the info, said that between 1820-early 1900's the barges that came up river from NYC used refuse as a ballast and that one of the major ballast release points was at this beach. The key is however, is it has to be low tide and that you have to turn the sand/silt etc over and comeback the following day to see what is revealed...This is what I found..
1.jpg

A little gold never hurt anyone (tested by a local jeweler)
Gold.jpg

...some silver..
1956.jpg
sc1.jpg
sc2.jpg

...a little Glass (very common $1 bottle)
Cheeseborough.jpg

I think I lost my marbles...
Marbles.jpg

Upvote 10

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great New Year hunt mucky , was up in the Palisades , West Point area a few days ago , there has to be some nice hunting spots out your way.8-)

OP
OP
MuckyBottles

MuckyBottles

Bronze Member
Jun 19, 2013
Bone Valley, Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great New Year hunt mucky , was up in the Palisades , West Point area a few days ago , there has to be some nice hunting spots out your way.8-)

Especially when you can put down your machine and catch a few of these guys in December (Yes, that's me)...until the cows come up the Hudson in the spring

Last edited:

beez0404

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Especially when you can put down your machine and catch a few of these guys in December (Yes, that's me)...until the cows come up the Hudson in the spring
QUOTE]

Aaaaaawwww! It's an itty bitty little striper. They're a lot of fun to catch for sure.

OP
OP
MuckyBottles

MuckyBottles

Bronze Member
Jun 19, 2013
Bone Valley, Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
QUOTE]

Aaaaaawwww! It's an itty bitty little striper. They're a lot of fun to catch for sure.

It is, it was only 26"...its all the males stacking up until the Cow's start making their way up in early march to spawn..Sure beat's sitting at home...I finally made it into the 50lb + club three years ago with a 53lb'er caught in Jersey

Last edited:

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice finds. Congrats on the silvers and gold!

cazisme

Aug 6, 2012
Motherload
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hell out here in California they actually are calling the stripers an invasive specie and even went so far as to make spear fishing legal in the American River only they forgot it was on a parkway and no weapons allowed so not really.

Fingerlakes119

Aug 16, 2013
Finger Lakes Region Of NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Profind
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad you are still able to get out. My ground is frozen and my lake is frozen at the shore to 20 ft out. I tried to water hunt yesterday, but only lasted 20 minutes, Current temp here is 4 degrees F and 20 - 30 MPH winds my season is shut down.
Great finds.

HH George

rodarian

Jul 20, 2014
upstate New York
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, ACE250, Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You should get out there tomorrow morning. I heard it's going to be a balmy -10 degrees. -20 with the wind chill.:laughing7:

pong12211

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2013
North central Pa.
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro/Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice finds thanks for sharing and congrats on the success.

stewielouie

May 14, 2012
Virginia
Detector(s) used
MXT, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hell out here in California they actually are calling the stripers an invasive specie and even went so far as to make spear fishing legal in the American River only they forgot it was on a parkway and no weapons allowed so not really.

The West Coast Rockfish is a different species than our East Coast ones. Ours are the hottest thing going when the water turns cold in the Chesapeake Bay.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Glad you are still able to get out. My ground is frozen and my lake is frozen at the shore to 20 ft out. I tried to water hunt yesterday, but only lasted 20 minutes, Current temp here is 4 degrees F and 20 - 30 MPH winds my season is shut down.
Great finds.

HH George

Nice recoveries on the beach with just turning the silt and coming back to see what came up, sounds like fun.

George your temps are still up there, -10F or -24c then with the windchill frozen up hard now here.

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey Muck!

Haven't seen your posts in a while. Glad to see your hunting those icy banks and better yet finding stuff. Stay warm bud

OP
OP
MuckyBottles

MuckyBottles

Bronze Member
Jun 19, 2013
Bone Valley, Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The West Coast Rockfish is a different species than our East Coast ones. Ours are the hottest thing going when the water turns cold in the Chesapeake Bay.

Yes and No, They introduced Striped bass to the west coast back in 1879, so the species is the same, however, the folks on the west coast do have a species of fish called a "rockfish" completely different species. I agree, when the Stripers (Rockfish for those south of NJ) are on the feed, there is not a hotter place to be than between the DelMarVa to the south and Cape Cod to the north, especially on the spring bite in NY/NJ..

OP
OP
MuckyBottles

MuckyBottles

Bronze Member
Jun 19, 2013
Bone Valley, Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice recoveries on the beach with just turning the silt and coming back to see what came up, sounds like fun.

George your temps are still up there, -10F or -24c then with the windchill frozen up hard now here.

Fun, but filthy...if your patient it works, if not you have to learn to be patient...lol

OP
OP
MuckyBottles

MuckyBottles

Bronze Member
Jun 19, 2013
Bone Valley, Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Muck!

Haven't seen your posts in a while. Glad to see your hunting those icy banks and better yet finding stuff. Stay warm bud

Thanks, its been busy around here with the Holidays and such...I will be out hunting the banks until I either get frostbite or the river locks up with ice.

beez0404

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It is, it was only 26"...its all the males stacking up until the Cow's start making their way up in early march to spawn..Sure beat's sitting at home...I finally made it into the 50lb + club three years ago with a 53lb'er caught in Jersey

I fish fresh water lakes for stripers. Used to have a friend in Kentucky and would visit him and go out striper fishing. Largest I caught was 36lbs. but that's a pretty darn nice fish for an inland fresh water lake. Record there is just over 50lbs.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread