Frustrated. Any tips?

rakoom2002

Tenderfoot
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys, I'm in Oregon and decided to go down to the coast for today and then spending the night and going out again tomorrow (only days not raining for a while). I've never detected at the beach before so I'm new to it in a sense. We haven't really found anything notable. I have a garret ace 250 and had it on jewellery but wasn't getting anything so switched to all metal and was getting only junk. I switched back to jewelry and walked away at from the water towards a large embankment were people sit. I was getting good signals for coins and jewellery but was still only getting like nails, screws and pieces of metal. The beaches aren't super crowded here like California or new jersey but do you recommend we go more towards water or more towards dry sand were people sit? Any other tips? Thanks.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R

rakoom2002

Tenderfoot
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry for the poor spelling. My dumb ass tablet won't let me go back and correct.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would recommend getting a detector designed for the water. Until then, stick to the dry sand. Yes, there is a lot of trash to dig but you will eventually dig something nice.

Beach Papa

Apr 25, 2012
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark VLF
Whites Dual Field PI
CTX 3030
Aquasound (custom made)
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
You are correct, this is not a time of the year when you get recent drops. If someone has already detected the beach where you were hunting, at best you will only be able to find what they missed. I have been doing this for a few years now, and at times like these it is hard to find more than $.50 an hour. Now, if you get a storm that moves some sand, that is a different story. If you move a foot or two off the beach, then it doesn't matter who detected the beach last. Look at some of the posts from the North East. They are finding stuff from 50 - 100 years old. But then they had Hurricane Sandy and two Noreasters come through to move lots of sand off the beach and stir things up. If this beach is your only option, just keep plugging away at it and you will find something, even if it is only pennies. No telling where the best place to hunt on your beach. Varies by beach and time of year. Happy Hunting and good luck, Papa

seeker41

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2007
spacecoast florida
Detector(s) used
fisher cz6a--teknetics g2 --cz20--minelab excal 800--discovery3300--original whites tdi--tesoro sandshark--whites dual field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Yes, there is a lot of trash to dig but you will eventually dig something nice."

the above statement is spot on, its not as easy as these forums make it seem! hunt were the people spend the most time! use your machine in the dry sand until you make a few finds to be able to buy a saltwater machine can

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oregon is tough - consider it a challange!

Stay high and dry - search for the fresh drops: (clad coins, jewlery) that is.
Don't be discouraged when you find pull tabs, bottle caps, ferrous and non ferrous trash.
It's all part of the game - the more you dig the faster you learn.

Focus on where most people stay and play.
This is the easiest place to learn to metal detect and retrieve detected objects.

Stay away from wet sand or shallow water at salt water beaches as the false alarming will either drive you nuts or you will have to set your sensitivity so low that you you will not be able to find much.

Watch what equipment the best detectorists in your area are using, talk story with them when they return to their car/truck if you can. Many would be glad to help you, others not.

Eventually you will earn enough to be able to afford a good water proof/diving: multifrequency or pulse induction (PI) detector to hunt the shallow water and on wet sand.

Last edited:

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
rekoom2002,
At some point we've all been in similar situations learning all the ups and downs of this hobby. As Seeker mentioned, it's not as easy it might appear and on these forums as you simply don't get the full scope of just how much junk is sifted through in order to collect the better items you see posted here. Truth is, the good finds are few and far between. The junk you are encountering is encountered by every hunter out there, the difference being experienced hunters are use to it and they are bit better equipped and experienced at dealing with it and passing judgement on it. "Persistence"...is about the only thing that's going to help you out, there's just no easy way to bypass this process of required learning. I'd have no way of knowing how many worthless pieces of junk I encounter between each good find buy I know it is safe to say, "hundreds". Nails, bobby pins, nuts, bolts, screws, pieces of scrap aluminum, etc., it's all just part of a normal day of hunting. Truth is, nobody knows exactly where or when that good target is going to be lost or where or when it is going to show up in your scoop, could be the next target you encounter or could be a thousand junk targets away. There are some very successful hunters on this forum that use PI machines and they dig nearly every target they encounter, perhaps you should ask them how much junk they recover during an average day of hunting. I think your perspective and expectations on the hobby will take on a little adjustment after hearing their replies. Good finds simply don't come easy and they certainly don't come that often. It just seems that way sometimes. :icon_thumleft:

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Big Scoop is right of course. I've dug many of holes, where I got my name, and our hobby is about the hunt, not the find. Well for me anyway. When I get a target I glance at it and it is in the pouch so I can sweep for the next target. Rusty nails have a halo effect so they sound off good when you think Iron should be disc out. It takes a lot of experience to read a beach and they change daily. You can learn faster from the Master that helped me. The Golden Olde

hunter_46356

Feb 12, 2012
Indiana/Florida
Detector(s) used
NOx 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some awesome information in the previous posts. With the mid west winter almost over maybe I can finally get out and do some digging. You can only watch so many videos, all you see are the edited great finds most of the time. If some one would post videos of what it's really like T Net would probably lose a bunch of members. With all the hype over the TV detecting shows it's only a matter of time when most of these people will be selling some good detectors cheap. Any one out there got a Sea Hunter for sale??

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One way of looking at it is like this, "Be glad your at least getting tones to dig." I have spent many an hour down here sweeping the deep soft sands of summer without so much as a burp. Last summer this was common for many experienced hunters and they were pretty vocal about it. Sometimes "anything" really is better then nothing at all. :laughing7: And it happens far more often then you think. :icon_thumleft:

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PM'ed you a link to some of my stories - some might help you

Top Member Reactions