frustrated to no end-quiting

racing33

Jun 26, 2007
Well after spending several hours/days of digging nothing but bottle caps, nails, foil, and all other manner of trash I have decided to hang up the metal detector for good. I have gone to several different places only to find trash, no coins or anything else worth a damm. I am using an Ace250 which is brand new. This is/was my first foray into the metal detecting game and I have to say that it is the most frustrating thing that I have ever attempted t do. I am not in the position to spend hoyrs/days to dig only trash. Hell I can walk to the store and get all the nails and bottle caps that I could ever want. I see no reason to continue wasting my time doing this stuff. To bad to because I started out with such high hopes of finding a hobby that would prove to be enjoyable. No such luck.
So to all here I wish you the best of luck with your digs. I am out of here unless someone can give me a reason to stick with it. Peace out.
Bruce jr

captain Jack

Sep 26, 2006
Richmond, Va
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
sorry you had such a sour experience. Sounds a little like I started. I don't mean this to sound condecending, but have you tried putting in just a little research? This (I think) is the single most important thing if you really want to find anything worth your time.

Copperhead

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2007
The Constituition State
Detector(s) used
Ace250
How about this...a previous post of yours...

Thanks fellow diggers. I am looking forward to finding more, better and older stuff. For now I just want to get used to the Ace. I am sure the good stuff will come and even if it never does I will still be having fun, and getting some much needed exercise. My dad has got me hooked on this hobby.
Bruce jr

1Arkie

Greenie
Oct 28, 2006
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
SE
Don't give up! I did the same thing when I got my first machine. I thought how can there be this much trash in the ground. But I didn't stop The more I went out the better I got with the machine and next thing you know coins are popping out of the dirt. Just hang in there it gets better...

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
There are a million hobbies out there... they all take time to master.

I go entire years without finding anything to speak of... and sometimes I do much better. I don't always catch fish when I go fishing ether. But, it's about the fishing - not the catching.

You wrote your dad got you hooked, mine did too... do you MD with him? I live 2800 miles from my dad... I have not seen him in two years and I'd give anything to spend a day MDing with him and NOT find anything. But that's me...

I'm sure lots of folks will give you reasons to keep at it - but truthfully, it sounds like you've made up your mind.

I'm sorry you didnt have a better experience right off the bat... I've been at it since the 70s. I've never found anything worth more than a few bucks - all being relics.

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
Hopefully someone with an ace 250 can step forward and tell you what you need to do! Otherwise register on the findmall.com forum and go into the Garrett site and or read the posts there!

vic910

Bronze Member
Mar 14, 2005
Orlando, FL
Hey Bruce! Don't feel like you're the only one not finding anything. I haven't found anything worth mentioning in about the past six months! I have been finding shredded cans, nails, tin foil, pop tops, melted metal, etc., so I know the detector is working. I keep at it because it fascinates me that I never know what the next shovel full will bring. I must admit to being a tad discouraged, but I know the stuff is there and it could come with the next swing of the MD! Like others have said, it's not necessarily the finding, it's the hunt!!!!! Good luck in whatever you decide to do.

vicki

teverly

Mar 4, 2007
central ohio
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E TRAC x 2 xp deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have said it before and i will keep saying it: if you get into this hobby thinking you are going to go right out and start digging all keepers and no trash you are in the wrong hobby.
I have been at this for 12 years and i still dig a lot of crap compared to my good targets.
Also if you go in thinking you will make money at it then it no longer becomes a hobby and feels more like a job.
All i can say is that if you keep practicing and trying you will get it.There have been a lot of new people on here saying they wanted to quit but they are still here and they seem to be really enjoying the hobby.
Hope you stick with for little while longer and give it a chance..
GOOD LUCK!!!!

Dman

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2006
Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXPLORER SE
Here's the best reason to keep trying. The next item you dig may be a keeper.
Dman ;D

bakergeol

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2004
Colorado
Detector(s) used
GS5 X-5 GMT
Bruce

Not everyone is cut out for his hobby. People enter and leave this hobby every day(Just look all those detectors sold on E-Bay). In the same token not everyone likes fishing or golf. Just find a hobby that you will enjoy.

However, perhaps you could keep your Ace 250 for awhile. Some day in your travels you will notice an interesting virgin site that you could try with your detector. The day when you dig your first Barber dime or IH is the day when you understand why a lot of us are hooked on this hobby.

George

captain Jack

Sep 26, 2006
Richmond, Va
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
gibbsium said:
Don't give up yet. I'm a greenie too and have been digging may share of junk. I did see this in one of you older posts:

I just received an Ace 250 and I am having a few problems with it ans was wondering if anyone else has had similar problems and what they did to resolve the issue/s.
1. The pinpointer function works erratically. Sometimes when I use the pinpointer it will give a strong indication of an object and when I move the coil away from the target the pinpointer will still be giving a strong indication of a target, even if pointed at the sky. Also when the pinpointer function is used it will give a faint humming through the headphones.
2. If the side of the case is bumped it will sound off like it has found a target.
3. After a few minutes of use the battery level indicator fades out and the sensitivity meter also starts to fade out, like it has weak batteries, but I have replaced the batteries 5 times with all different types from the major batter manufactures. No other part of the lcd screen fades out, just the above mentioned items.
4. If the unit sits overnight and then you turn it back on it will look and work as normal. Sometimes it will work ok after sitting for a while and then other times it will start having trouble almost right after it is turned on. It does seem to get progressively worse as the unit "warms" up.
This Ace 250 was a gift to introduce me to the hobby of metal detecting. So far I am hooked, even with the troubles. The unit worked for two days flawlessly and I was finding some coins and stuff. I got just enough time on the Ace to realize that I like this hobby and want more of it.
Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Bruce jr

Is your Ace still acting this way? If it is, send it in for service. It shouldn't be acting that way.

that's true, I have an ace also and mine doesn't do all that stuff. But if the target is large that can seemingly mess with the pinpointer. I have learned to use it to my advantage and it tells me not only how big the item is, but if it's big I know what direction it is also, before I even dig anything!! get it serviced and get your butt back out there!

or I'll out bid spidey for the ace 250! :)

JC dig's

Jul 10, 2007
Culpeper,Va
Detector(s) used
fisher 1236x / whites xlt / garret ace250
I feel your pain, I've been at for the last seven years. Not until a month ago did i find anything decent and I live in an area that is considered one of the best places in Va to MD for CW relics. Why just this past weekend I went hunting on a battlefield that hosted the biggest calvary fight during the war apox. 19-20 thousand men and horses. I'm not sure what kept me interested but it paid off after six hours in 90degree temperatures I dug a pull top. Wow!! I packed my sh*# and went home and said I was through. The next day my 8 year old said "are we going MD today I had fun yesterday". I said "yea sure you never know what you might find".................

Nightmare

Apr 6, 2007
CA
Detector(s) used
White's M6 Matrix
captain Jack said:
your dad got you hooked, he must be finding good stuff, can't he give you some pointers?
[/quote

I have tried but knowing my boy the best thing may be to pull the batters and take a brake for awhile.

He knows you can find stuff cause he has seen the stuff i have found in the tot lots nothing to brag about but finds just the same and that includes about $12.00 in clad for the last three weeks.

Bruce Sr

Gribnitz

Aug 1, 2004
Metal Detecting requires a LOT of patience. If you don't have it, you just don't have it. I am in the market for a used Ace 250 :)

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You havent told us where your hunting, that might help.

I find a lot of trash, but I also find some neat stuff when I hunt playgrounds and parks. I prefer beach hunting, but since I live a little over an hour away, I can't hunt the beach every night after work, so I stop at parks and play grounds on way home when I can.

Many times I find nothing, but the times I find the gold and silver rings makes up for the skunks.

bowser

Feb 27, 2007
SOUTH WEYMOUTH MA.
Detector(s) used
PRISM11 MXT IDX PRO TESORO COMPARDRE T2 se
Primary Interest:
Other
dont give up what ever you do no 1 there are people on this and other forums that love their ace 250s no 2 part of this game is luck 3 location is a big factor, try new spots , do not go to the same places over and over again, start with tot lots they are easy and you can learn and get used to your detector go to a soccer feild and detecton either side of t
he white chalk lines you should at least find coins, i have a ace 150 and it loves quarters good luck keep swinging jim

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread