Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Frustration with "other" types of hunters

Since I got back in to metal detecting this summer, I've always been EXTREMELY careful to replace all my divots (Freudian slip) er, plugs when I dig and have always taken pride in leaving my sites in pristine condition before I leave.

During the past several weeks, I've noticed that when I return to a site that I've hunted several days before, a lot of the turf plugs that I've replaced have been "flipped over" or removed entirely >:(. (It's not fun having to back-track and replace plugs). I suspect that there are some ground critters out there that believe no site is ever "hunted out" and they're checking for all the silver & coppa (or acorns) that I may have missed. Does anyone have any suggestions or home remedies that can be sprinkled on the turf plugs (short of using Claymores) that would discourage these critters but, not hurt the grass?

Thanks,
watercolor

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
Re: Frustration with "other" types of hunters

a little red pepper on top of those plugs should keep the squirrlies away for a while. ;)

OP
OP
watercolor

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

hollowpointred said:
a little red pepper on top of those plugs should keep the squirrlies away for a while. ;)

Thanks! I'll give it a try.

MD Dog

Bronze Member
Feb 10, 2007
Please don't yell !

You can also try this, every time you dig a plug and find a worm or grub etc... Leave the critter outside the hole, thats what the critters is after. :P

teverly

Mar 4, 2007
central ohio
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E TRAC x 2 xp deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Same thing happened to me.
And when i went back and re-replaced the plugs the homeowner and i were standing there talking and a darn tree rat(squirrel) came down and dug one out.
They are basically thieves..they see you and think you are burying food and will dig it up to take it...

eagle77

Jan 23, 2007
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2, 3300, XTerra 70

here is my solution to the tree rats.... ;D
It seems to perk the interest of others while MD'ing in the park...haven't figured out why ;D

Attachments

• TreeRatRemovalTool.jpg
    TreeRatRemovalTool.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 200

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread