Full Boat!

VStorm

Dec 23, 2010
Winchester, NH
Detector(s) used
BH Landstar, BH Platinum
Went on my first beach hunt yesterday with my new Bounty Hunter Platinum. I knew that the beach was picked clean by the locals but I thought that maybe the big Christmas storm stirred something up. I hunted along the water line at low tide and stayed in the water as the tide came back in. I was able to ground balance the detector manually using the instructions in the manual and I had to do it frequently. I found three things of significance, A rusty iron doodad, looks like a fitting from an old ship but so rusted, I can't distinguish it. I found it in all metals mode about 18" deep under 3" of water at low tide. It was near impossible to get it out but the detector was screaming and I wanted my 'treasure'. I ended up digging a huge hole at a furious pace with a long handled spade to keep ahead of the 'quicksand'. Then I found a strange looking piece of zinc like metal (no rust) about two inches long by 1/2 inch diameter. It is cylindrically shaped and tapered with dashed ridges around the circumference. and has been damaged, it looks like a piece is missing. I am an electrical and mechanical engineer and a licensed aviation master technician and have built custom vehicles all my life. I have seen just about everything related to machines and construction and I am at a loss here. If I had to guess, I would say that it is a piece of an outdoor electrical device, part of a weather-head or other power service related device. My third find was up on the beach, above the normal high tide line. I noticed that the sand was higher than normal along an old wall and while digging, I was finding huge amounts of sea weed. I surmised that the storm had deposited part of the lower beach on top of the upper. While searching, I hit a faint signal in all metals mode and figuring some trash, I dug anyway. When all was said and dug, I had unearthed a 14 foot long, 33 inch wide, Hobie Odyssey, a two seat (plus center jump seat), sit on top kayak in excellent condition. It was completely buried and full of sand. It retails for about $1200.00, I know because I was just looking at them while Christmas shopping. I wanted to take it home but I figured that it blew off of someone's property nearby during the storm. I left it in good hands with a email to the local police to have anyone looking for a lost Hobie to contact me. Maybe I'll be able to bring it home someday... :icon_sunny:.

Upvote 0
Dec 19, 2010
Grove City ,Ohio
Thats a fantastic Story and recovery :thumbsup: ,i dug a wood john boat out of the mud once and tried it float it,but all the seams leaked like all get out,took it back to shore and left it for the next person to find,Dave

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great story and find on the kayak! You should get Honable Mention here as far as I'm concerned for your honesty and decency in enabling it's return. Best, Erik :hello2:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread